CHESTER, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team fell 4-3 in nine innings in game one against Widener and the Pride finished the sweep with a 3-1 win in the nightcap.
Nate Luscombe took a hard-luck loss in game one, throwing 4.2 innings of scoreless relief before a walk-off single by Nick Enos in the ninth. Five pitchers combined to hold Widener to three runs in the second game.
Had Hood (19-19, 9-12) won both games, the Blazers would have qualified for next week's Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth playoffs.
WIDENER 4, HOOD 3
- Widener (25-12, 13-8) went ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the second, but a RBI single by Jordan Patterson tied the game in the third.
- The Blazers took the lead in the fourth on a sacrifice fly by Wayne Baldwin that made it 2-1. Hood added another run before the inning ended for a two-run lead.
- The lead did not last long as Greg McDonough singled in two runs to tie the score in the bottom of the inning.
- After that, both pitching staff settled in and neither team scored for four and a half innings. Stephen DeBellis led off the ninth with a base hit, was bunted over to second and scored on a single by Enos.
- Drake Friend had two hits in the game.
WIDENER 3, HOOD 1
- Widener did all of its damage in the third inning with a two-run double by Brennan Taylor and a run-scoring single by DeBellis.
- Daniel Shepherd drove in a run with a fielder's choice in the sixth to make it 3-1.
- Connor Henniges, Des Grimes, and Jahlin Jean-Baptiste each pitched scoreless innings for the Blazers in relief.
Hood wraps up the season on Sunday, April 30 with a doubleheader against Marymount (Va.) at 1 p.m.