FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College baseball team remained unbeaten in 2018 and ran its streak of 10-plus run games to five in a doubleheader sweep over Central Penn. The Blazers took the opener 13-1 and won the nightcap 10-2 despite cold temperatures and gusting winds.
Drake Friend hit the first home run for Hood in the opener and Eric Turner homered in game two. Friend, Quinn Fulton, Dylan Beck and Daiven Sanchez each had three hits games during the doubleheader. Paul Jackson and Chris Devine picked up wins on the mound.
Hood 13, Central Penn 1
- Hood answered a first-inning run by the Knights with six of its own in the bottom of the inning and never looked back.
- Jerry Biller singled, stole second and scored for Central Penn in the first but the lead did not last long. Cam Esposito reached on an error, then stole both second and third. After Nathan Kessler walked and stole second, Brooks Warrenfeltz doubled to drive in both runners for a 2-1 lead. Jordan Patterson singled in Warrenfeltz for a two-run lead.
- With runners on first and second, Friend took a pitch over the fence in left field for a 6-1 lead after the first inning.
- The Blazers added three more in the third. Alex Staton had a two-run single that scored Friend and Brad Sawyer. Fulton drove in Staton with a single to left to make it 9-1.
- Trent Copenhaver doubled and scored the first of four Blazer runs in the sixth on a base hit by Sawyer. Staton and Fulton had RBI singles before a triple by Beck made it 13-1.
- Friend went 3 for 3 with a homer, scored three times, drove in three, walked and stole a base. Quinn Fulton went 3 for 4 with two RBIs and Staton drove in three with a pair of hits. Mikaili Robertson came off the bench for his first career hit.
- After allowing a run in the first, Jackson retired 13 of the next 15 batters and completed six innings of three-hit ball for the win. He struck out six and walked three. Andrew Catone struck out two in a hitless seventh.
- Luis Padilla walked twice for the Knights. Quinton Heckard allowed nine runs in three innings to take the loss.
Hood 10, Central Penn 2
- Central Penn jumped out to an early lead again, carrying a 2-0 edge into the bottom of the third before Hood scored 10 runs over the next two innings.
- Brendan Mower walked to lead off the bottom of the third, stole second and moved to third on a wild pitch before scoring on a sacrifice fly by Beck. Staton followed with a single and scored on Turner's first career home run for a 3-2 lead. Hood took a two-run lead on a squeeze by Cophenhaver that scored Josh Gall.
- The Blazers broke the game open with a six-run fourth. Robertson and Staton scored on a two-run single by Staton for a 6-2 lead. Turner drove in Staton with a RBI single before a walk to Gall and a single by Jake Howell loaded the bases. Copenhaver drew a bases-loaded walk and a run-scoring single by Sanchez made it 9-2. Howell scored on a passed ball for the final run of the inning.
- Turner's home run was the first of his career and he finished 2 for 3 with three RBIs. Beck reached base in all four of his plate appearances. He doubled, singled twice and walked. Sanchez had three hits. Staton and Howell had two hits each. Howell's hits were the first of his career.
- The Blazers used four pitchers to get through the game. Jack Sullivan started and allowed one run in two innings. Devine struck out two in two innings and allowed a run to pick up the win. Jahlin Jean-Baptiste pitched a perfect fifth and Ryan D'Allesandro tossed a pair of scoreless innings to close it out.
- Two Hood errors and a passed ball aided Central Penn in the first and Miguel Arredondo doubled in a run in the third for a 2-0 lead. Todd Cook scored both runs and went 2 for 3.
- Owen Livingston was charged with all 10 runs, eight earned, in 3.1 innings to take the loss.
Hood heads to Fort Pierce, Florida for spring break from March 11-16. A game against the Royals of Scranton opens the trip on Sunday, March 11.