FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Nathan Kessler had a home run among his three hits to lead the Blazers past Albright in the opening game of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth series between the two teams.
Hood tied the school record for victories in a season with 20, set last year. The Blazers improved to 6-4 in the MAC Commonwealth.
Inside the Box Score
- Kessler went 3 for 4 with a home run and a stolen base. Dylan Johnson had three hits and drove in two.
- Nate Luscombe picked up his fifth win of the season.
How it Happened
- Hood erased an early 1-0 deficit with six runs in the second inning. After four straight singles to open the inning gave the Blazers a 3-1 lead, Brooks Warrenfeltz and Cam Esposito doubled to stretch the margin to four runs. A sacrifice fly by Daniel Shepherd put Hood on top 6-1 before the end of the inning.
- After Jeff Yordy hit a two-run homer for the Lions in the top of the third, Kessler led off the bottom of the inning with a home run to left, his second of the season, for a 7-3 lead.
- Back-to-back RBI singles by Johnson and Kessler in the fourth gave the Blazers a 9-3 edge.
- Albright scored once in the sixth and once in the seventh before Jake Howell and Jordan Patterson closed the game with perfect innings of relief.
- Yordy went 2 for 5 with three runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Matt Fisher allowed all nine runs in 3.2 innings for the loss.
- The Lions sank to 7-8 overall and 2-5 in the conference.
Hood travels to Reading, Pa. to take on the Lions in a doubleheader on Saturday, April 7.