READING, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team held off one comeback bid by Albright before the Lions in game one before the Lions completed a comeback in game two of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader between the two teams.
The Blazers took the first game 6-5 in eight innings for their 21st win of the season, the most in a season for the program. Albright came from behind in another eight inning game in the nightcap 7-6.
Cam Esposito was 5 for 8 in the doubleheader with three runs and three RBIs.
Hood 6, Albright 5 (8 innings)
- Esposito tripled and scored on a sacrifice fly by Daniel Shepherd in the top of the eighth for the winning run.
- Esposito led off the game with a double and scored in the first inning for a 1-0 lead.
- Albright's Joe Suppa doubled in a run and scored to give the Lions a 2-1 edge in the second.
- A throwing error in the top of the third allowed Esposito and Nathan Kessler to come home to reclaim the lead for Hood 3-2.
- In the fifth, Shepherd led off the inning with a walk and scored when Drake Friend walked with the bases loaded for a two-run lead.
- Albright tied the game in the bottom of the fifth, but a bases loaded, infield single by Dylan Johnson put the Blazers in front 5-4.
- An error in the bottom of the seventh opened the door for an RBI single by Anthony Brescancine to tie the game before Jordan Patterson induced a double play to end the inning.
- Patterson picked up the win in relief. Ryan Atkinson allowed one earned run in 4.2 innings. Jahlin Jean-Baptiste and Jake Franke pitched scoreless relief.
- Esposito went 3 for 4 and Johnson and Joe Kroeger had two hits apiece.
- Logan Adams took the loss. Jimmie Gentry and Suppa each had two hits.
Albright 7, Hood 6 (8 innings)
- After scoring four runs in the bottom of the seventh to tie the game at 6-6, a sacrifice fly by Adams salvaged the split for Albright.
- Hood led 1-0 before pulling away with a five-run sixth. Dylan Beck and Esposito each had singles that scored pairs of runs for a 5-0 advantage. An error resulted in the final run of the inning.
- The Lions scored twice in the sixth to pull within 6-2. In the bottom of the seventh, Gentry and Noah Beebe produced run-scoring base hits and and error brought in two more to tie the game at 6-6.
- Esposito had two hits and drove in three. Kroeger scored twice.
- Hood stole five bases in the game and now has 101 for the season as a team.
- Adams and Gentry had two hits each hits.
- Ryan Kalinich picked up the win in relief.
- Hood was undone by a pair of errors that resulted in four unearned runs. Brad Sawyer struck out five in 6.2 innings. Johnson pitched the eighth and took the loss.
- Hood is 21-5 on the year, including 7-5 in MAC Commonwealth play.
- Albright is 8-9 overall and 3-6 in the conference.
Hood hosts East. Mennonite on Tuesday, April 10.