WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Hood College baseball team picked up a key regional victory with an 11-10 win at Catholic in non-conference action.
Inside the Box Score
- Joe Kroeger tied the school record with four runs scored in the game.
- Nathan Kessler drove in four runs.
- Daniel Shepherd had three hits, including a pair of doubles.
- Brad Sawyer tripled among his three base hits.
- Dylan Johnson pulled off the rare feat of batting clean up in a game as the starting pitcher. He doubled twice as a hitter. On the mound, he allowed four runs in four innings, striking out our four.
- Jordan Patterson picked up the victory in relief.
How it Happened
- In the top of the ninth with the score tied 8-8, Sawyer singled and Kroeger walked to lead off the inning. Cam Esposito singled home Sawyer to give the Blazers the lead. After Shepherd walked to load the bases, Kessler ripped a two-run double to make it 11-8.
- The Cardinals rallied in the bottom of the inning. Alec Dolton and Jeff Guile walked to start the inning. Dolton scored on a single by Ryan Tracy and Guile scored on a Jake Crist sacrifice fly to make it 11-10. With the go-ahead run on and two outs, Patterson forced Michael Doody to pop out to end the game.
- Hood took an 8-5 lead in the top of the eighth before a two-run double by Brennan Cotter and a sacrifice fly from Doody tied the game in the bottom of the inning.
- In the first inning, Shepherd doubled and scored on a two-base hit by Johnson for a 1-0 lead. Cotter tied the game in the bottom half with the first of his two homers on the day.
- An RBI single by Esposito in the third drove in Kroeger for a 2-1 lead. In the bottom of the inning, Cotter homered before Doody doubled and scored on a single by Cid Porter to give the Cardinals a 4-2 advantage.
- The Blazers reclaimed the lead with a four-run fourth inning. Drake Friend led off the inning with a single and scored on an RBI base hit by Patterson. Sawyer tripled home Patterson and scored himself on a single by Kroeger. Kessler drove in the final run of the inning to make it 6-4.
- Both teams scored in the sixth as Hood took a 7-5 lead.
- Hood improved to 23-5 with the win, while the Cardinals slid to 20-7.
- Cotter went 4 for 5 with a walk, two home runs, four runs batted in and three runs scored.
- Bailey Lewis went 2 for 2 off the bench with a sixth-inning home run.
- Crist had three hits, including two doubles.
- Collin Brown took the loss in relief, allowing three hits in a third of an inning.
The Blazers return to Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play at Lebanon Valley on Friday, April 14.