FREDERICK, Md.- Hood College's Andrew Haupt delivered a two-out, RBI single in the bottom of the eighth to cap a comeback win for the Blazers over Catholic University 6-5.
Inside the Box Score
- Trent Copenhaver went 2 for 3 with two singles, an RBI, a walk, and two stolen bases.
- Nathan Kessler notched two hits in four at-bats and added a couple of RBIs.
- Daniel Shepherd recorded two hits and two stolen bases.
- Brad Sawyer added two RBIs, two runs, two stolen bases, and a walk.
- The Blazers had nine stolen bases in the win.
- Nate Luscombe started on the mound for the Blazers allowing three hits and one earned run in five innings of work while striking out three. Jahlin Jean-Baptiste pitched 1.2 innings of shutout relief. Jake Howell pitched the top half of the ninth to secure the save.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed 5-3 heading into the bottom of the eighth. After a walk by Jordan Patterson and a double by Andrew Wenner, Sawyer sent a two-out single into right field to tie the game. Sawyer stole second and Haupt followed with his pinch-hit single that drove in the game-winning run.
- The Cardinals got on the board first with a groundout by Tighe Watson in the top of the second. Connor Sullivan, who led off the inning with walk, scored on the play.
- The 1-0 lead stood until the bottom half of the fifth when Kessler drove in Copenhaver.
- Catholic responded quickly with a run of its own in the next half inning on an RBI single by Jeff Guile.
- In the bottom of the sixth, Hood knotted the game up with an RBI single from Copenhaver that scored Sawyer.
- A three-run seventh inning by the Cardinals gave them a 5-2 advantage. Bailey Lewis tripled home a run and later scored in the inning.
- The Blazers cut into the lead the next half inning with an RBI single by Kessler that brought pinch-runner Brendan Mower around to score.
- Jack Ropelewski took the loss for the Cardinals allowing four hits and three earned runs in an inning on the mound. Chris Kelly started for Catholic giving up two hits in three innings and striking out three.
- Lewis, Cole Campbell, Cid Porter each recorded two hits. Lewis doubled and tripled.
Hood hosts Gallaudet on Wednesday, February 26 at 2 p.m.