FORT PIERCE, Fla. - The Hood College baseball team fell 8-7 against Monmouth (Ill.) on the Blazers' spring break trip to Florida.
Inside the Box Score
- Andrew Wenner went 3 for 4 in the game with a stolen base.
- Brad Sawyer was 3 for 5 with a two-run double.
- Joe Kroeger and Jordan Patterson had two hits apiece.
- Hood used six pitchers in the game. Jake Howell pitched the final four innings, did not allow a run and struck out eight, Hood's single-game record for a relief pitcher.
How it Happened
- The Fighting Scots jumped out to a four-run lead in the first. Jake Starkey and Matt Temaner started the inning with singles and later scored. Monmouth drew two walks and a hit batsman in the frame to help keep the rally alive.
- With the Blazers trailing 5-0 in the bottom of the second, Patterson scored on an error to put Hood on the scoreboard.
- After the Fighting Scots stretched it to 6-1, the Blazers scored three runs in the fourth. Wenner and Staton had back-to-back RBI singles and Staton later scored on a balk to make it 6-4.
- Monmouth tacked two more runs onto the lead in the fifth before the Blazers began to chip away. In the seventh, Sawyer hit an RBI double that scored pinch-runner Brendan Mower and Nathan Kessler to make it 8-6.
- Trent Copenhaver reached on an error in the ninth and Sawyer kept the inning alive with a two-out single. A base hit by Kroeger scored Copenhaver and put the winning run on third before Monmouth's Andy Sheetz closed the door for the save.
- Temaner was a thorn in Hood's side all afternoon, going 4 for 4 with two walks and two doubles. Starkey had three hits.
- Connor McDonald struck out nine over six innings, allowing four runs for the win.
- Jahlin Jean-Baptiste took the loss. He started and allowed five runs in 1.2 innings despite five strikeouts.
- Hood fell to 5-2 with the loss, while the Fighting Scots improved to 7-2.
The Blazers wrap up spring break with games against SUNY-Maritime and Penn St. Behrend on March 8.