FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College baseball team opened up Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play with a 5-4 win over the Stevenson Mustangs.
Inside the Box Score
- Dylan Beck had a two hit day, including a two-run homer.
- Jordan Patterson went 3 for 4 with a double.
- Nathan Kessler tripled for one of his two hits.
- Brad Sawyer pitched 6.2 innings of no-hit baseball and finished with 7.2 innings of shutout work, allowing two hits and striking out six. Connor Henniges provided a brief stint of relief before Jake Howell finished the day on the mound for the Blazers.
How it Happened
- Kessler provided a two-out triple before Joe Kroeger drove him in with a single to left field in the bottom of the first.
- Hood struck again in the fourth scoring on a wild pitch and a RBI single by Derek Wyld to take a 3-0 lead.
- Beck followed with a two-run blast to left to boost the lead to 5-0.
- The Mustangs were held in check by Sawyer and Hood's defense throughout the middle innings, finally breaking the no-hit bid with a single by KJ Murray in the sixth.
- Stevenson broke through in the top half of the ninth after a three-run homer by Alex Kidwiler with no outs to gash the lead.
- After a walk and a single, a sacrifice bunt moved the runners into scoring position.
- A sac fly made the score 5-4 but Howell was able to strike out the last batter to secure the victory.
- Kidwiler homered with 3 RBIs.
- Matthew Kerber doubled and added a RBI.
- Joe Thompson took the loss on the mound pitching five innings allowing 10 hits and striking out two. Zach Kaye and Jake Vanko pitched the final three innings in relief.
Hood travels to Stevenson for the remainder of the series Saturday, March 16 at 12 p.m.