FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College baseball team recorded a pair of comeback wins over the Messiah Falcons in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action, winning both games by a score of 3-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Nate Luscombe went the distance in game one. He tied the school record for strikeouts in a single game with 11 and allowed two runs on two hits and three walks.
- Brad Sawyer pitched the first four innings, allowing five hits and two runs while striking out four. Jahlin-Jean Baptiste and Connor Henniges combined for two innings of scoreless relief with three strikeouts and allowing only two hits. Jake Howell picked up his fourth save of the season.
- Trent Copenhaver went 3 for 6 over the span of both games with a RBI.
- Brady Ward homered and added two runs batted in.
Hood 3, Messiah 2
- A walk-off single by Nathan Kessler capped the victory for the Blazers in game one.
- It was a pitcher's duel between Luscombe and Jordan Nichols, before each team recorded their first hits in the the third inning.
- Trent Culver singled to drive in Trey Pritchard for the first run of the game in the top of the third.
- Another Messiah run came in the fifth off the bat of Jarod Bingamon to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead.
- Hood was able to tie the game with a two-run shot by Ward in the bottom of the sixth.
- Kessler was able to poke a looping line drive into center field to bring in Sam Wheeler for the winning run.
Hood 3, Messiah 2
- The Falcons again got out to a 2-0 lead with a homer from Dan Wiederrecht and a RBI single by Jimmy Kustra in the second inning.
- Kessler got the Blazers on the board with a RBI single that scored Joe Kroeger in the bottom half of the fifth.
- Patterson scored on a wild pitch in the sixth inning to tie the game.
- After a walk and an infield single, Copenhaver drove in the go-ahead run with a single to left.
- Howell came on in the seventh to record the save and give the Blazers the win.
Hood goes to Messiah on Monday, March 25 at 3:30 p.m.