READING, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team fell in the completion of a suspended game to Alvernia 8-7 but the Blazers rebounded to sweep a scheduled doubleheader 3-1 and 12-4 from the Golden Wolves.
Alvernia 8, Hood 7 (10 innings - game suspended on March 29)
- Mike Cirilli singled in the 10th inning to drive in Ian Schaffer for the winning run. Cirilli pitched the bottom of the inning for the save.
- Kyle Gaynor picked up the win. Jordan Patterson took the loss.
- Click here for recap of the contest's beginning
Inside the Box Scores (Doubleheader)
- Brad Sawyer went 3 for 4 hitting with a home run, two RBIs, a walk and three runs scored at the plate. He started on the mound in game one and pitched 4.2 scoreless innings in a no-decision.
- Jordan Patterson went 4 for 7, drove in two, scored three times and stole two bases.
- Trent Copenhaver finished 3 for 5.
- Andrew Wenner was 3 for 6, scored three runs and stole three bases.
- Brady Ward homered.
- Connor Henniges and Jahlin Jean-Baptiste had wins in relief. Des Grimes picked up his first save.
Hood 3, Alvernia 1
- Hood trailed 1-0 before scoring three times in the seventh for the win.
- Alex Staton led off the inning with a walk and stole second. He advanced to third on a ground out and scored on an infield single by Patterson to tie the game. Patterson stole second and scored on a two-out single by Wenner for the go-ahead run. Wenner stole second and scored on back-to-back wild pitches for an insurance run.
- Alvernia had only taken the lead in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI triple by Nick Nutile that drove in Alex Salesky. Jean-Baptiste struck out the next batter and forced a groundout for the third out to avoid further damage.
- Grimes walked a batter but pitched a scoreless seventh for the save. Jean-Baptiste was credited with the win.
- Sawyer pitched out of a bases-loaded jam in the third forcing Nathan Sides to ground out to end the inning.
- Nicholas Marotta had held Hood to just two hits and a walk entering the seventh and took the complete game loss.
- The two teams combined for just nine hits in the game.
Hood 12, Alvernia 4
- The Blazers carried the momentum into game two with home runs from Sawyer and Ward leading the offense.
- Sawyer and Patterson had three hits apiece.
- Sawyer started the scoring in a three-run second inning with a solo home run to right field for his first career homer. A wild pitch and a pair of errors brought home Ward and Nathan Kessler.
- The Golden Wolves got a run in the bottom of the second but Hood scored three times in the top of the third. Patterson singled, stole second and scored on a base hit by Sawyer. Ward followed with a two-run homer to center, his second home run of the year, to make it 6-1.
- The Blazers put the game out of reach with a four-run fourth inning in which the first six batters reached base. Wenner was hit by a pitch to lead things off and scored after back-to-back singles by Dylan Beck and Patterson. A fielding error in the outfield brought home two more runs to make it 9-1 before Derek Wyld scored on a wild pitch.
- Colin Rieger drove in a run as part of a two-run bottom of the inning for the Golden Wolves.
- Trent Copenhaver had an RBI single in the sixth and Wenner scored on another wild pitch for a 12-3 lead.
- Jake Howell picked up his first start of the year and allowed one run on three hits in three innings. Henniges allowed two runs in two innings for the win and Ryan D'Allesandro pitched the final two innings, allowing one run on three hits.
- Jake Reese took the loss for the Golden Wolves, surrendering six runs on six hits in 2.1 innings.
- Nutile, Sides and Gavin Blankenbiller all had two hits for Alvernia.
- Beck, Wenner and Copenhaver had two hits for the Blazers.
- Hood improves to 14-6-1 overall and 6-3 n the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth. Alvernia slips to 14-7-1 and 7-2.
- It is the first time in program history that Hood captured the season series against Alvernia.
The Blazers host Wilson in a non-conference contest on Monday, April 1.