HARRISONBURG, Va.- The Hood College baseball team recorded 21 hits, the fourth most hits in a single game in school history, to rout Eastern Mennonite University 18-5.
Inside the Box Score
- Brady Ward went 4 for 5 with two doubles, a home run, and a walk. His six RBIs are tied for the most in school history for a single game since the program began in 2015.
- Trent Copenhaver had three hits on the day with two RBIs, three runs, and a walk.
- Daniel Shepherd added two hits, including a solo home run, and scored four runs.
- Andrew Wenner, Alex Staton, and Dylan Beck each recorded two hits. Wenner doubled.
- Jordan Patterson batted in three runs.
- Nathan Kessler and Joe Kroeger each doubled.
- Chris Devine started on the mound for Hood. He pitched three shutout innings and allowed three hits with one strikeout. Ryan D'Allesandro picked up the win after pitching the next two innings and allowing one hit with a strikeout. Five other pitchers combined for the remainder of the game. They combined to allow three earned runs on six hits, three walks, and struck out five.
How it Happened
- Shepherd and Ward started the scoring in the second inning with back-to-back home runs to put the Blazers up 2-0.
- An RBI single by Brad Sawyer and a sac fly by Patterson were part of a three run third inning for Hood to increase the lead to five.
- The Blazers added five more runs in the fourth capped by a three-run double by Ward to clear the bases and make the score 10-0.
- Hood added three runs in the fifth inning to hold a commanding 13-0 advantage.
- The Royals broke through in the seventh with an RBI single by Matt Lannes that scored John Judy.
- Another double by Ward added two more insurance runs in the ninth. Hood pushed across three more to take an 18-1 lead into the last half inning.
- EMU made some noise in the bottom of the ninth with four runs but it was not nearly enough.
- Matt Lannes went 2 for 2 with an RBI.
- John Judy doubled and Daniel Scott tripled.
- Austin Carroll took the loss on the mound going three innings and allowing five earned runs on six hits and three walks. He struck out one. Five other EMU pitchers combined to go the remaining six innings. They surrendered five earned runs on 15 hits, three walks, and struck out six.
The Blazers travel to Arcadia on Friday, April 12 at 3:30 p.m.