FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College field hockey ran into an undefeated and nationally ranked program from Alvernia and fell 8-0 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Jayden Barrick had two defensive saves to run her season total to six.
- Ashley Griffin made her second defensive save of the year.
- Hailey Poisal stopped 14 shots in goal for the Blazers.
- The Crusaders struck quickly with a goal at 3:40 by Andrea Wysocki, but Hood's defense held firm for much of the rest of the first half. Alvernia's other first half goal came on a penalty stroke by Taylor Dorrin into the left side of the cage.
- Wysocki opened the scoring in the second half to make it 3-0. Her goal, along with the following two by Erica Groves and Dorrin, were assisted by Margaret Wentzel.
- The Blazers' defense held Wentzel, an All-American, off the scoreboard until the game was out reach. She scored the Crusaders' sixth and seventh goals of the day.
- Michaela Burke finished the scoring in the 60th minute off an assist by Andrea Zimmerman.
- Hood fell to 3-8 overall and 0-3 in the MAC Commonwealth.
- Alvernia, ranked No. 18 by the National Field Hockey Coaches Association, improved to 12-0 overall and 3-0 in the conference.
The Blazers travel to Wilson on October 13 for a 4 p.m. start.