FREDERICK, Md. - With 39 seconds left and the game tied at 69-69, Hood College's press forced a turnover and Scott Bolen followed with a 3-point play to propel the Blazers to a 76-73 win over Alvernia.
It was the first of seven points Bolen scored in the final 39 seconds of the game on his way to a game-high 23 points.
The win kept the Blazers undefeated at 6-0 and 1-0 in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth.
How it Happened
- The Crusaders led 69-62 with 2:10 to play when Bolen sank a 3-pointer to cut the deficit to four. He rebounded a miss at the other end and the resulting possession pulled Hood within 69-67 on a pair of Michael Robinson free throws with 1:22 to go.
- Alvernia (3-2, 0-1) missed another 3-pointer and Kobe Butler found Daniel Wegener in the post to tie the game at 69-69 with 40 seconds left. When the Crusaders inbounded the ball, they stepped on the end line to give the Blazers the ball under the basket. Butler's inbounds pass found Bolen who layed the ball in and was fouled.
- After Bolen's 3-point play, Steve Pendleton made a layup with 29 seconds to go to make it a 72-71 game. Bolen was fouled again and hit both with 23 seconds left. The duo again traded a layup for two free throws, with Bolen's final two foul shots making it 76-73 with nine seconds to go.
- Hood struggled with its shooting early as Alvernia built a 34-21 lead with 3:14 left in the first half. The Blazers finished the half with an 8-2 run to trim the deficit to 36-29 at hafltime.
- Hood then opened the second half with a 22-10 run and led 51-46 after a layup by Wegener with 13:18 to play. An Ian Eversull basket stretched the lead to 58-50 with 9:19 remaining, but Alvernia quickly regrouped.
- Alex Shippen hit a 3-pointer to tie the game at 60-60 with 6:32 left and the run extended to 19-4 when Miller hit his 3-pointer with 2:53 to play.
Inside the Box Score
- Bolen hit 4 of 7 from 3-point range in the game and sank all seven of his free throws in the contest.
- Luke Casey grabbed a career-high 13 rebounds as the Blazers held a 46-33 edge on the glass. Butler came off the bench for four assists, including his two key plays down the stretch.
- Hood went 26 for 36 at the free throw line (72 percent), while Alvernia was just 7 of 13.
- The Crusaders rarely subbed in the game with all five starters playing at least 31 minutes. Only five players scored in the game for Alvernia. Marquis Marshall scored 21 points and added 10 boards and three blocks.
- George Williams was 9 of 12 shooting before fouling out and had 19 points. Mike Miller played much of the second half with four fouls and hit five 3-pointers for 15 points. Alex Shippen also fouled out and added 14 points.
- Hood's bench held a 27-4 scoring edge.
The Blazers head to Lycoming on Saturday, December 3.