WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. - Hood nearly erased an eight-point deficit in the final minute and 30 seconds, but Lycoming held on to defeat the Blazers 61-60 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
The setback was Hood's first of the year and the Blazers are now 6-1 overall and 1-1 in league play.
Inside the Box Score
- Luke Casey hit his first three 3-point attempts and finished with 11 points on 4 of 6 shooting. The junior forward grabbed a team-best nine rebounds.
- Scott Bolen led Hood with 12 points, while Tanner Ruths added 10.
- Trevor Magnuski did a little of everything with seven points, seven rebounds, four assists, a steal and no turnovers.
How it Happened
- A Willie Kee free throw gave the Warriors a 59-51 lead with 1:31 to play, but a driving a layup by Magnuski 11 seconds later cut the lead to six. Lycoming (6-1, 2-0) turned the ball over on its next possession and Hood capitalized. Bolen got in close for two for a 59-55 score with 58 seconds left. After a shot clock violation by the Warriors, Ruths scored on a layup and cut the deficit to 59-57 with 16 seconds to play.
- David Johnson appeared to ice the game with a pair of free throws with 10 seconds remaining, but Bolen pumped and leaned through a double team to hit a 3-pointer to make it 61-60 with 3.2 seconds to play.
- Hood fouled with 1.2 seconds left and Nyk King missed the front end of the one-and-one, but a desperation heave by the Blazers was off the mark.
- The game opened with Hood heating up from 3-point range. The Blazers made their first five 3-pointers of the game, taking a 22-12 lead on Casey's third with 14:28 left in the half. The Warriors eventually cut the lead to 28-26 on a Chris Wallace basket with 4:52 remaining in the half. A 3-pointer by Ruths and a layup by Bolen stretched Hood's lead to 33-26 at halftime.
- The Blazers were 7 of 15 from 3-point range in the opening 20 minutes.
- Johnson scored nearly half of Lycoming's points, finishing with 25. Wallace had a double-double with 10 points and 12 rebounds. Kee had five steals.
- The Warriors held a 48-40 edge in rebounding.
- Both teams had off days shooting the basketball, with both Hood and Lycoming ending the day at 36 percent.
The Blazers look to get back into the win column on December 7 at Wilson at 8 p.m.