FREDERICK, Md. – The Hood College men's basketball team continued its fast start to the season by defeating Lebanon Valley College 73-67 in conference play this Saturday afternoon.
The victory improved the Blazers to 8-1 overall and 2-1 in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth.
Inside the Box Score
- Scott Bolen led Hood with 17 points and did most of his damage from beyond the arc, connecting on 3 of 7 from three-point range. He also led the Blazers with seven rebounds and six assists.
- Trevor Magnuski made six of his nine shots from the floor to give him 14 points, while grabbing five rebounds and dishing out three assists.
- Tanner Ruths and Michael Riley also scored in double figures in the Blazers' victory. Ruths scored 11 points and had five rebounds, while Riley, making his first career start, scored 10 points.
- For the second straight game, Hood was hot from distance. The Blazers went 10 of 24 beyond the 3-point arc in the victory (42 percent).
How it Happened
- Hood led by just one, 65-64, with 47 seconds to play. Daniel Wegener found Magnuski down low for two to stretch the lead to 67-64 with 33 seconds remaining. After a stop at the other end by the Blazer defense, Kobe Butler scored for a 69-64 edge with under 20 seconds left, but the Dutchmen made one final push. Sam Light scored and was fouled with nine seconds on the clock and the free throw pulled LVC within 69-67. Bolen was fouled on the inbounds and sank both foul shots to make it a four-point game. Lebanon Valley tried to push the ball, but Butler intercepted a pass and finished the fast break to ice the game with two seconds remaining.
- Hood trailed 10-8 early after a basket by Andy Orr with 14:36 left in the first half, but the Blazers answered with a 14-4 run. Bolen hit back-to-back threes in the run before a Butler layup made it 22-12 in favor of Hood with 8:18 to go.
- After Riley hit a 3-pointer to make it 30-19 with 5:19 left, the Dutchmen began to close the gap. Lebanon Valley finished the half with a 25-15 run and the teams went into the locker room tied at 35-35.
- The Blazers went on a 13-3 run early in the second half to take a 12-point lead. Magnuski scored seven points during the stretch, including a 3-pointer that made it 57-45 with 11:36 to play. A 16-5 run by the Dutchmen narrowed the margin, capped by a basket by Light to make it 62-61 with 5:20 left in the game.
- Light shot just 8 of 21 in the game, but grinded his way to a game-high 27 points. The guard added six assists. Andy Orr Finished with 18 points and nine rebounds. Will Boccanfuso ended his afternoon with 12 points.
- Hood limited the Dutchmen to just 8 of 29 from 3-point range (30 percent). LVC also went just 15 of 25 at the free throw line (60 percent).
- The Blazers held a slim 33-31 edge in rebounding.
- Led by Bolen and eight points apiece by Butler and Wegener, Hood's bench outscored the Dutchmen's 33-8.
The Blazers are idle for finals week before hosting the Rotary of Frederick Holiday Classic on December 17-18 at BB&T Arena.