FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Jared Ruiz came off the bench for a season-high 18 points, but the Blazers fell in overtime to No. 21 Swarthmore 72-63 in non-conference action.
Even with the loss, Hood is 10-2 on the season. The Blazers' other loss was to a Lycoming squad receiving votes in the D3hoops.com Top 25.
Inside the Box Score
- Ruiz went 3 of 5 from 3-point range and had five steals in the contest.
- Scott Bolen added 16 points and tied Luke Casey for the team-high with eight rebounds.
How it Happened
- Hood led by nine, 52-43, with under four minutes to play before the Garnet closed regulation with a 13-4 run to tie the game. The Blazers led 56-53 with 1:13 remaining after a free throw by Tanner Ruths, but Sam Lebryk hit a 3-pointer with 50 seconds left to send the game to overtime.
- Zack Yonda opened overtime with a 3-pointer, but Ruiz brought the Blazers to within one with a pair of free throws, 59-58, with 4:04 remaining. From there, Swarthmore (9-1) outscored the Blazers 13-5 to pull away.
- Hood opened the game with a 7-0 run, but the Garnet scored the next eight points to take the lead. Hood led 19-16 with 3:22 to play, before ending the half with an 8-2 flurry. Ruiz scored five of the eight points to give the Blazers a 27-18 halftime lead.
- A 3-pointer by Bolen stretched the lead to 30-20 with 18:55 on the clock, but a 21-6 run gave the Garnet a 41-36 lead with 10:26 left. Hood responded with a 16-2 run and took a 52-43 lead with 3:56 to go.
- Neither team managed to shoot even 40 percent overall during a defensive struggle, but Swarthmore heated up from 3-point range as the game went on. The Garnet made just 3 of 14 in the first half, but followed with an 11 of 23 effort in the second half and overtime.
- Hood answered Swarthmore's outside shooting with a 25 of 31 performance at the free throw line (81 percent).
- The Blazers were outrebounded 43-39, but the Garnet entered the game with a rebounding margin of plus-15.9 rebounds per game, tops in Division III.
- Yonda hit 5 of 7 threes in the game and led the team with 16 points. Cam Wiley had 13, but struggled to a 5 of 15 effort shooting before fouling out. Matt Brennan came off the bench for 14 points, including four 3-pointers. Robbie Walsh had 10 rebounds before he fouled out.
Hood returns to Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action at Albright on January 4.