READING, Pa. - The Hood College men's basketball team set a school record by making 71 percent of its 3-point field goals at Alvernia, but fell 77-74 on the road in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
The Blazers went 10 of 14 behind the arc in the game, breaking the record of 63 percent (12 of 19) set in 2008 against Marymount (Va.).
Inside the Box Score
- Tanner Ruths scored 16 points, going 4 of 6 from 3-point range, to lead the Blazers.
- Scott Bolen tallied a dozen points and came up one rebound short of a double-double.
- Luke Casey went 5 of 6 shooting on his way to 11 points.
How it Happened
- Hood (13-6, 5-5) led for much of the second half before an Alex Shippen 3-pointer tied the game at 67-67 with 3:32 left in the game. Mike Miller followed with a 3-pointer for the lead with 2:46 on the clock. Both shots came as part of a 15-5 run that gave the Crusaders a 77-70 lead with 13 seconds remaining.
- The Blazers led by nine with 13:19 left in the second half after a pair of free throws by Daniel Wegener made it 47-39. Miller answered almost immediately with a 3-pointer and Hood never led by more than seven after that.
- Alvernia (12-7, 6-4) pulled within on four occasions, but the Blazers answered each time before Shippen's game-tying 3-pointer. Hood had stretched its edge to three on a jumper by Bolen with 4:01 left, 67-64.
- In the first half, Hood trailed 27-20 before a 3-pointer by Ruths with 6:21 on the clock pulled the Blazers within four. The shot started an 11-4 run to close the half, capped a by a long buzzer-beating 3-point field goal by Bolen to pull within one, 32-31.
- Alvernia took its lead to 35-31 early in the second half, but Hood answered with a 10-0 run to take a 41-35 lead on a basket by Casey with 15:37 left.
- Miller and Marquis Marshall scored 24 points apiece for the Crusaders, whose bench played just 16 total minutes in the entire contest. All of Miller's scoring came from behind the 3-point arc. Marshall grabbed 12 rebounds for a double-double. George Williams dished out 13 assists.
- Hood outrebounded the Crusaders 38-30. The Blazers' bench outscored Alvernia's 25-0 in the contest.
Hood travels to Lebanon Valley on January 28.