CHESTER, Pa. - The Hood College men's basketball team could not keep pace with a Widener squad that shot 66 percent as the Blazers fell 87-60 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Scott Bolen led Hood with 14 points and six rebounds.
- Tanner Ruths added a dozen points and three assists.
- Freshman Austin Griffiths saw more action due to foul trouble in the Blazer frontcourt and responded with a career-high eight points.
- Trevor Magnuski had three steals.
How it Happened
- A 19-6 Widener run to open the game put Hood in an early hole. With just over a minute left in the half, a 3-pointer by Bolen brought Hood within 33-24. Kendall Green answered with a 3-pointer of his won to push the Pride advantage to 36-24 at halftime.
- Widener caught fire in the final 20 minutes, missing just four field goals the entire half. Hood trailed 55-43 after Michael Riley hit a 3-point field goal midway through the half, but the Pride followed with a 13-2 run.
- Widener's starting lineup scored 80 of the team's 87 points. Sardayah Sambo hit all eight of his field goal attempts to finish with 20 points and eight rebounds. Green and Sam Smith each it five 3-pointers to finish with 17 and 18 points, respectively. John Fender had 14 points and eight assists. Ryan McMahon scored 11 points.
- In addition to shooting 66 percent from the field, the Pride went 13 of 26 from 3-point range.
- Hood won the turnover battle, committing just 12 miscues in the contest.
- The Blazers held a 23-7 edge in bench scoring, led by eight each by Griffiths and Riley.
Hood travels to Messiah on February 14 at 8 p.m.