Nov 15, 2017
SWARTHMORE, Pa. - The Hood College men's basketball team dropped its season opener 111-89 at No. 25 Swarthmore.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Riley scored a career-high 17 points in the game. He knocked down 4-of-8 3-point field goals.
- Kobe Butler had 12 points and four assists.
- Nathaniel Christian came of the bench for 10 points on 4-of-7 shooting.
How it Happened
- After Christian's first two points of the night made it 9-9 with 14:55 left in the first half, three different Garnet players hit 3-pointers during an 11-0 resulting in a 20-9 lead after a dunk by Robbie Walsh just 44 seconds later.
- Hood pulled within 20-16 on a free throw by Riley with 10:31 to go in the half, but Swarthmore's Ryan Harkins hit three 3-pointers in a back-breaking run that made it 48-19 with 3:22 remaining in the period.
- While Hood matched Swarthmore's second half output of 59 points, the Blazers were unable to cut into a 52-30 halftime deficit.
- The Garnet had the hot hand all evening, hitting 20-of-35 3-point field goals (57 percent).
- Harkins nailed 9-of-14 3-pointers in his college debut and finished with a game-high 27 points.
- Cam Wiley and Zac O'Dell scored 19 points apiece. Walsh added 15 points, nine rebounds and five blocked shots.
- Hood won the turnover battle, committing 15 compared to 25 for Swarthmore.
Hood hosts the Sixth Annual Rotary of Frederick Holiday Classic on November 18-19.