FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Jared Ruiz scored 20 points to lead four Blazers in double figures in a 90-82 win over Stevenson in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
- Ruiz hit 7 of 10 field goals and added four assists and four steals.
- Mason Wang scored 13 points off the bench. Christian Evans made his first career start and scored 12 points to go along with six steals. Nathaniel Christian added 10 points.
- Daniel Wegener grabbed eight rebounds and had four assists and two blocks. Luke Casey grabbed five rebounds to run his career total to 499.
- Hood went 30 of 43 at the free throw line in the contest (70 percent). The Blazers turned 25 Stevenson turnovers into 37 points.
How it Happened
- Ruiz scored five points in a game-opening 11-0 run in the evening's first four minutes.
- Stevenson tied the game at 18-18 on a Jaylin Johnson free throw with 7:45 remaining in the half, but the Blazers closed the half with a 24-4 run. Wang scored eight points in the run and Ian Eversull added five points as Hood led 42-22 at halftime.
- The Blazers stretched the lead to 22 in the second half on several occasions, including a layup by Ruiz that made it 50-28 with 17:09 left in the game. Danzel Wright answered with a 3-pointer for the Mustangs, who began to chip away at the lead.
- A Mark Terrell free throw with 7:17 left pulled Stevenson within 65-61. Ruiz answered with a layup 18 seconds later and Hood led by as many as 12 down the stretch.
- Wright overcame a 1 for 7 shooting first half to finish with a game-high 23 points. Johnson used a 14 of 20 night at the free throw line to finish with 19 points. He added six rebounds and five assists.
- Stevenson shot 46 percent in the game, while the Blazers finished at 45 percent.
Hood travels to No. 10 Lycoming on Saturday, January 20.