FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College men's basketball team tied the school record with 26 assists as the Blazers scored their most points ever in a season opener and the most points in a game in nearly 10 years in a 106-63 win over Gallaudet in the opening game of the MMI Tip-Off Tournament.
Inside the Box Score
- A combined 43 points by the Wang twins allowed their teammates to rack up assists. Evan Wang knocked down 6 of 9 3-point field goals and finished with 22 points. He went 8 of 11 overall from the field. Mason Wang poured in 21 points. He hit 8 of 15 field goals.
- Anthony Pearson came off the bench for 10 points and a team-high six rebounds.
- Jared Ruiz and Kobe Butler dished out five assists apiece to lead 11 different Blazers who aided on at least one bucket.
- Hood's 15 3-point field goals were just one shy of the school record. The Blazers shot 48 percent from the floor, 36 percent behind the arc and went 17 of 21 at the free throw line.
How it Happened
- Hood outscored the Bison 37-9 over the opening 10 minutes of action, hitting 15 of 22 field goals during the run (68 percent).
- Gallaudet was able to get the deficit under 20 with three free throws by Trace Martin with 1:40 left but a layup by Brice Moore at the buzzer made it 48-27 at the half.
- The Wang brothers scored the Blazers' first 14 points of the second half.
- Overall, the Blazers turned 26 Gallaudet turnovers into 46 points. The Bison, meanwhile, scored just seven points off turnovers.
- Noah Valencia and Martin scored 13 points each for the Bison, while Steve Valencia-Biskupiak added 10. Valencia-Biskupiak and Cody Crace tied for the game-high with nine rebounds apiece.
- All but one of the 15 players who saw action for Hood scored, including nine players with at least five points.
- Hood held a 44-41 edge on the backboards.
- The Blazers' bench held a 51-19 edge in scoring.
- In the evening's second game, Randolph-Macon defeated Immaculata 83-56.
- The last time Hood scored 106 or more points was on February 18, 2008 in a quadruple overtime loss against Wesley.
Hood will face the Yellow Jackets in the championship game of the MMI Tip-Off Tournament at 2 p.m. on Saturday, November 10. The game follows the consolation game between Gallaudet and the Mighty Macs at noon.