Wesley Nips Blazer Men's Lax in OT, 7-6

Joseph McCulloh
Joseph McCulloh

FREDERICK, Md.--Wesley College's Scott Brozey scored the game-tying goal with 8:54 left in the third quarter and the game-winner 1:13 into the first overtime period as the Wolverines (1-4, 1-0 CAC) edged the Hood College men's lacrosse team (2-7, 0-1 CAC) by a 7-6 margin Saturday in the Capital Athletic Conference opener for both schools at Thomas Athletic Field.

Trey Freeman tallied three goals for the Blazers while Scott Thompson, Shane O'Keefe and Randolph Clark all scored single tallies. Ricky Orndorff assisted on a pair of Hood goals and now leads the team in that category with seven, while Spencer Freemon and Adam Patterson also picked up assists on the day.

Wesley's Joe Donato gave the visitors a 5-3 lead midway through the second quarter with his team-leading 10th tally and, as the goal was scored, Hood was whistled for a one-minute cross-checking penalty. But the Blazers were able to win the next face-off and called a timeout. Freeman, who corralled the ground ball from that face-off, drew the Blazers within one with his seventh score of the season at the 8:09 mark. Hood also had a goal called back in the second quarter after the referees whistled the Wolverines for an off-sides penalty before the ball hit the back of the net and the 5-4 margin would stand at halftime.

Freeman struck again 2:32 into the third period on a nifty no-look shot to draw the Blazers even. Hood regained the lead for the first time since early in the first quarter when O'Keefe finished a pass from Patterson less than two minutes later. But Wesley won the next face-off and Brozey ripped one past Joseph McCulloh to tie the game at 6-6 with 8:54 left in the third.

Later in the half, Hood was unable to capitalize on a two-minute non-releasable body check penalty on Wesley's Ken McDonald, but fortunately the Blazers killed off a one-minute EMO for the Wolverines in the final minute of the quarter. The two teams headed to the fourth quarter deadlocked at 6-6.

Wesley and Hood combined for 14 shots in the fourth quarter but neither squad was able to find the back of the net. McCulloh stopped the only shot on goal he faced and Wesley's Matt Ryan turned away four Blazer attempts.

With eight seconds left in regulation, Wesley was whistled for a one-minute cross-check penalty, giving the Blazers their fifth man-advantage opportunity of the day. After Wesley took a timeout following the penalty, the Blazers chose to hold the ball for the final eight seconds and attempt to settle the score in the sudden-victory overtime.

At the start of the extra session, the Blazers were unable to get a shot off in their EMO as the Wolverines forced a Hood turnover. After the Wolverines gained possession, Hood was whistled for three penalities on three different players, two one-minute slashing calls and a 30-second push. The Wolverines called another timeout and, after their own penalty from the end of regulation expired, were able to work the ball around to Eric Crumbock who found Brozey in front of the net for the man-up score to give Wesley its first win of the season.

Cody Hass made the start in the cage and made four saves in 21:43 of work; McCulloh came in to relieve Hass in the second quarter and collected eight saves in defeat.

Hector Montoya won 10 face-offs for the Blazers, who also won the ground ball battle, 33-27. Wesley outshot Hood, 30-26, and killed off all five Hood EMOs.

The Blazers continue CAC action next Saturday at St. Mary's College (Md.). Face-off is set for 1 p.m.