Feb 18, 2017
FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College men's lacrosse team dropped its season opener to Goucher 19-7.
Inside the Box Score
- Grayson Zubradt led the Blazers with three goals and an assist.
- Eddie Somerville had a goal and two assists.
- Zach Kauffman won 14 of 25 faceoffs and led the team with seven ground balls.
- John Hoffman made eight saves in the opening 51 minutes.
How it Happened
- Goucher scored less than a minute into the action off a goal by Mason Gorman. Neither team scored for over 11 minutes until the Blazers tied the contest when Somerville fed Zubradt with 3:09 left in the period. A late goal by Jake Ziegler, who assisted on Gorman's goal, made it 2-1 after the first quarter.
- After the defenses carried the first quarter, the Gopher offense broke out in the second quarter and built an 8-2 lead at the half.
- Goucher scored almost immediately after play resumed in the second half, but Alexander Elliott answered right back and started a three-goal run for Hood with a score at 14:48. Zubradt had a hand in all three goals, assisting on Elliott's goal and scoring the next two to make it 9-5. Goucher stretched the lead back to 12-6 at the end of the quarter.
- Tristan Moreno scored his first career goal to open the fourth quarter, but the Gophers scored the day's final seven goals to pull away.
- Leo Sementelli led Goucher with four goals and three assists. Jaryd Hartzell dished out four assists and Gorman scored three goals.
Hood travels to Shenandoah on February 25.