FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Grayson Zubradt scored the most goals in a game in a NCAA men's lacrosse game thus far in 2017 to lead the Blazers to a 29-8 win over Neumann.
Not to be outdone, Alex Villegas became Hood's all-time leading scorer with 91 points.
The output of 10 by Zubradt was a school record for goals, as were his 11 points in the contest. Hood's 29 goals were a school record, as were its 42 points. The 29 goals were one shy of the NCAA high for the year.
Inside the Box Score
- In addition to Zubradt's monster afternoon, Zak Kooser continued his strong play with three goals and four assists. His seven points tied for the second-most in school history.
- Sean Murphy and Alex Villegas also had three goals apiece in the game. Alexander Elliott, Tristan Moreno and Eddie Somerville scored two each.
- Zach Kauffman went 17 of 26 on face offs and had 13 ground balls. Ben Gilbert went 5 of 9 with five ground balls.
- All three Hood goalkeepers saw action. Noah Waterlander had two saves.
How it Happened
- The Blazers scored the first four goals of the game and, after Neumann scored, scored the final four of the quarter for an 8-1 lead. Villegas scored the fifth goal of the quarter to tie the school record.
- Villegas broke the record with a goal with 2:33 left in the second quarter for his 90th career point. Zubradt had seven goals at halftime, already the school record, as Hood built a 16-2 lead.
- The Blazers scored eight more in the third quarter and led 24-7 heading into the final quarter.
- Chase Fraser had four goals and an assist for Neumann.
- Brendan Risley had a game-high eight saves.
- Hood outshot the Knights 59-16 and held a 41-23 edge in ground balls.
- Villegas broke Kris Miner's points record of 89 set from 2008-11.
- Both Zubradt and teammate Patrick O'Brien held the old record of six goals in a game.
- Zubradt and Brett Humphreys each held the previous record of seven points in a game.
The Blazers head to St. Vincent on March 11.