WASHINGTON, Pa. - After a low scoring first half, the men's lacrosse team hit its stride, outscoring Washington & Jefferson 8-0 in the third period as the Blazers picked up a 16-5 victory in non-conference action.
Inside the Box Score
- Grayson Zubradt finished with five goals and an assist.
- Zak Kooser assisted on three goals and scored twice.
- Bentley LeBarron scored two goals and added an assist and four ground balls.
- Patrick Hurley netted a pair of goals and Eddie Somerville had two assists.
- Noah Waterlander made nine saves in the opening 57 minutes. Trenton Lazorchak finished the game in relief.
- Ben Gilbert went 16 of 17 on faceoffs and picked up 10 ground balls. Shea Anderson was perfect on three attempts as Hood won 20 of 24 faceoffs.
- Zach Flecksteiner had five ground balls and Alden Grayson-Funk caused two turnovers.
How it Happened
- Hurley put Hood on the board two and a half minutes into the game off an assist from Somerville. A goal by Pat Brunner with 6:43 left tied the game but the Blazers answered two minutes later as Kooser fed Zubradt for a 2-1 lead entering the second quarter.
- Alex Strain scored less than a minute into the second period and the game remained 2-2 until Gavin Combe took a feed from Kooser with 1:31 left in the half.
- Holding just a 3-2 edge entering the second half, Hood broke the game open. Zubradt scored 30 seconds into the quarter with the help of Somerville. The Blazers then scored four times in a two-minute stretch starting at 9:51. LeBarron scored twice unassisted in the spurt and Zubradt and Kooser assisted on goals by the other as Hood claimed an 8-2 lead.
- Zubradt, Somerville and Robert Mauer each scored before the close of the period as the Blazers' lead swelled to 11-2.
- Back-to-back goals by the Presidents stopped a 9-0 Hood run and ended an 18-minute, 35-second scoring drought to make it 11-4.
- A 5-0 run, with a different Blazer scoring each goal, followed to halt any hopes of a comeback by W&J. Jackson Hand and Matt Dees scored the final two goals of the run, the first of the season for each.
- Benjamin Ward scored twice for the Presidents and had one assist. Joseph Tritschler had five ground balls and two caused turnovers.
- Noah Cohen made 20 saves.
- Hood held a 48-28 advantage in ground balls and outshot Washington & Jefferson 57-31.
The Blazers host St. Vincent on Saturday, March 9.