FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Zak Kooser tied the men's lacrosse team records for assists and points in a game to lead the Blazers to a 19-10 win over St. Vincent.
Inside the Box Score
- Kooser tied his own school record with six assists and added five goals for 11 points. His point tally matched teammate Grayson Zubradt's single-game mark from two seasons ago.
- Zubradt had six goals and one assist for seven points.
- Patrick Hurley scored three times and Jason Jaworski netted a pair of goals.
- Bentley LeBarron assisted on three goals while scoring once.
- Noah Waterlander stopped nine shots in the first 55 minutes and caused two turnovers. Trenton Lazorchak made a save over the final five minutes.
- Ben Gilbert won 21 of 29 faceoffs and finished with 10 ground balls.
- Eamon Mulligan caused three turnovers and Eddie Somerville had five ground balls.
How it Happened
- The Blazers scored on the game's first possession. Gilbert won the faceoff and Hurley scored just 19 seconds into the action for a 1-0 lead. Kooser picked up assists on the next two goals, scored by Josh Patterson and Zubradt for a 3-0 lead. Hurley's second goal gave the Blazers a four-goal cushion before the Bearcats' Zach Novelli canceled it out with 2:21 left in the first quarter. Kooser took a feed from Zubradt just over a minute later to make it 5-1 at the end of the period.
- After Zubradt opened the second quarter scoring, St. Vincent used a 4-1 run to pull within 7-5 after Jeremy Kennedy scored with 6:50 left in the half.
- Hood answered back with a 4-1 run of its own to end the quarter. Kooser got things started with an assist by LeBarron with 5:32 left. Zubradt took an assist from Kyle Scott before Kennedy scored for St. Vincent at 2:32. Hood won the ensuing faceoff and scored 12 seconds later on a goal by Jaworski. LeBarron scored at the 1:46 mark to give the Blazers an 11-6 edge at the break.
- Hood kept the pressure on to start the third quarter, rattling off seven straight scores to put the game out of reach. Kooser scored or assisted on the final four goals of the run. Kennedy continued to do his best to keep the Bearcats in the game, assisting on two scores down the stretch to make it 18-8 at the end of the quarter.
- Kooser scored the Blazers' only goal of the fourth quarter and the Bearcats scored twice in the final five minutes with the game already decided.
- Kennedy had three goals and two assists for St. Vincent. Matthew Prock had four ground balls.
- Kevin Trogoning made nine saves in the first three quarters.
- Hood outshot the Bearcats 54-34.
- The Blazers' 3-0 start is the first in school history.
Hood hosts Rosemont on March 13 at 7 p.m.