ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. - Hood College's AJ Lewis won the long jump to lead the men's track and field team at the Early Bird Opener, hosted by Elizabethtown.
How it Happened
- Lewis leaped 6.46 meters (21-2 1/2) for the win. He was also fifth in the 400-meter dash with a time of 53.09.
- Zach Crossey took third in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:02.37.
- Chris Burgenson's 10:45.38 captured third place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.
- Burgenson, Crossey and Lewis qualified for the Middle Atlantic Conference Championships with their performances.
- Evan Ellington finished eighth in the 400 in 55.77.
- Hunter Klein threw the discus 31.22 (102-5) to take eighth.
- No teams scores were tracked.
From the Coaching Staff
- "Today in some cold, windy conditions, our athletes put together some quality performances and showed the grit it takes to compete at a high level at the big meets we have coming on the back half of the season. Hunter and Danielle led off the day with some great performances in the hammer, and that trend continued all the way to the end of the meet with the women's 4x4 running a gutsy race in our first relay of the year. We now get a chance put in some solid, uninterrupted training for 2 weeks before we head west to Frostburg State."
The men's track and field team continues its season on April 6 at the Bobcat Invitational at Frostburg State.