CLERMONT, Fla. - The Hood College softball team won its sixth and seventh straight games to wrap up it spring break trip to Florida, defeating Oswego State and Lawrence (Wis.) by identical 2-0 scores.
HOOD 2, OSWEGO ST. 0
- The Blazers scored twice in the first, which proved to be more than enough support for Laque and Herschman.
- Laque pitched the first 4.1 innings for the win, allowing three hits and a walk while striking out three. Herschman pitched the remainder to pick up the save. She struck out four and gave up one hit in 2.2 innings of work.
- Roo Saglimbeni had two hits, while Shelby Alcorn reached base three times via a hit and two walks. Jess Sedgwick walked twice.
- A one-out double by Paugh in the first made it 1-0 and Saglimbeni followed with a RBI single to score Sedgwick for a two-run lead.
- Laque retired seven straight before running into trouble in the fifth. Herschman came on in relief with two on and one out and struck out the first two batters she faced to preserve the lead.
- Jessica Roe took the loss for the Lakers. She allowed two earned in four innings, walking four and striking out three. Rebecca Vilchez tossed three innings of scoreless relief but did not factor into the decision.
- Roe also had two hits.
HOOD 2, LAWRENCE 0
- Paugh allowed just two hits and helped her cause with a home run and a double in a 2-0 win.
- Paugh was 2 for 3 at the plate with two runs batted in. As a pitcher, she struck out eight and walked two.
- With two outs in the first, Sedgwick singled. Paugh followed and doubled to left field for a 1-0 lead.
- Paugh led off the fourth with her second home run of the year for Hood's other run. She retired 14 of the final 15 hitters she faced to finish the game.
- Kaitlin Barron went 2 for 2 for Hood.
- Madeline MacLean took the loss for the Vikings. She went the distance and allowed two runs on six hits, striking out two.
- Hood, now 8-3 on the year, is off to its best start since beginning the 2013 season 9-3.
Hood is slated to host York (Pa.) on March 21.