TUCSON, Ariz. - The Hood College softball team defeated Macalester 7-3 and Dubuque 10-2 in five innings on the first day of the Blazers' spring break trip to Arizona.
Sophia Leaman went 4 for 8 at the plate in the two games with two doubles, a home run and six runs batted in. The senior pitched game two and allowed just three hits and struck out three for the win. Jasmine Webster went 5 for 7 with two doubles.
Hood 7, Macalester 3
- Webster doubled twice and Leaman added a three-run double to lead the offense, while Kayli Paugh pitched a complete game inside the circle.
- Webster drove in Paugh and Caitlin Gosline with a double in the first inning for a 2-0 lead.
- In the second, Hood loaded the bases for Leaman, whose bases-clearing double scored Kristy Erfurdt, Gosline and Kristen Scott.
- Macalester got one run back in the second before an RBI single by Kiley Banks drove in Webster for a 6-1 lead.
- Hood scored its final run on a run-scoring, infield single by Paugh that allowed Erfurdt to come home.
- Macalester scored twice in the seventh.
- Paugh struck out five and allowed just five hits and two walks. Erfurdt went 2 for 4.
Hood 10, Dubuque 2 (5 innings)
- Hood used a six-run second inning to break the game open.
- Webster reached base in all four of her plate appearances with three singles and hit by pitch.
- Leaman and Scott drove in three runs apiece, while Gosline knocked in two.
- Leaman gave Hood a 1-0 lead with a solo home run in the first, then added a two-run double in the second. The Blazers opened the second with four straight singles before Maddy Collins walked. Webster drove in the inning's final run with a base hit to make it 7-0
- A pair of errors in the third allowed Scott to score to make it 8-0. She and Collins had RBI singles in the fourth to cap the scoring for the Blazers.
- Leaman, meanwhile, held Dubuque without a baserunner in the first three innings. The Spartans scored both runs in the fourth. Taylor Allard recorded an RBI double and later scored on a base hit by Makenzie Kopp.
The Blazers play the Rochester Institute of Technology and Case Western Reserve on Tuesday, March 13 in Arizona.