READING, Pa. - Hood College's Mia Savoy scored 20 of her 21 points in the second half as the Blazers knocked off Alvernia 63-54 in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opener for both teams.
Hood's 3-1 start is the team's best four-game beginning to a season since winning four-straight to open the 2010-11 season.
Inside the Box Score
- Savoy went 6 of 12 from the floor and 9 of 11 at the free throw line. Her 11 rebounds were a career-high and complete the first career double-double for the sophomore.
- Maggie Tien added 13 points and Celestria Hill came off the bench to block two shots.
- The Blazers took excellent care of the ball, committing only nine turnovers in the game.
- Hood held a 48-39 rebounding advantage.
How it Happened
- After shooting just 20 percent in the first half, including 2 of 14 in the first period, Hood hit 13 of 28 second half field goals (46 percent).
- The Blazers trailed 23-18 at halftime and despite improved shooting in the third quarter saw the deficit grow to 38-29 on a jumper by Maya Cooper with 1:49 left in the period. Tien hit a 3-pointer then fed Lauren Keeney for an open look to cut it to 38-34 before the Golden Wolves stretched the lead to 43-36 at the end of the period.
- Hood's offense came alive in the final quarter scoring 27 of the team's 63 points in the final 10 minutes. A 3-point play by Savoy and another bucket by Keeney cut it to 43-41 less than a minute into the fourth. Tien was fouled shooting a three and hit 2 of 3 to tie the game with 8:30 to go. All three sets of points came during a 12-1 run to open the period that resulted in a 48-44 edge after Pitt scored with 7:27 to play.
- Cooper sank a 3-pointer with 2:19 remaining to cut Hood's lead to 53-51, but Hood nailed 10 of 12 free throws in the final two minutes, including 6 of 6 for Savoy, to seal the win.
- Cooper scored 16 points to lead Alvernia. Liv Andrefski added 13.
- Hood used 17 offensive rebounds to take a 14-5 advantage on second chance points.
Hood hosts Lycoming at BB&T Arena on Saturday, December 2 at 1 p.m.