GLENSIDE, Pa. - Hood College's Zara Whitfield scored 29 points but Arcadia shot 54 percent to defeat the Blazers 89-77 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play.
Inside the Box Score
- Whitfield was one point shy of the freshman record for a Hood player (Melissa Kolb, 30). It was the most points in a game for a Blazer in nearly seven years. She hit 10 of 15 field goals, grabbed seven rebounds and recorded four steals.
- Maggie Tien went 5 of 8 on 3-point field goals to finish with 17 points.
- Ebony Pitt led Hood with nine rebounds and five assists. She scored 12 points on 6 of 11 shooting.
How it Happened
- Whitfield scored eight points off the bench in the first quarter as the Blazers led by as many as six. Hood took a 20-14 lead on a 3-pointer by Tien with 40 seconds left in the period before the Knights chipped away and trailed by two at the end of the quarter.
- Aysa Alba tied the game at the start of the second period but the two teams traded baskets for the next two minutes before a 3-pointer by Julia Makowski gave Arcadia a 27-24 lead with 7:21 left in the half. After Hood tied the game at 30-30 on a basket by Whitfield, Arcadia went ahead 35-30 with 4:01 remaining in the period. A three-pointer by Rian Wright and four free throws by Tien and Whitfield, however, gave Hood a 37-35 edge with exactly three minutes left in the half. A 3-point play by Julia Makowski reclaimed the lead for the Knights 18 seconds later and Hood trailed 42-39 at halftime.
- The third quarter opened with five ties and seven lead changes as the teams battled for momentum. Whitfield's basket with 14 seconds left in the quarter put Hood ahead 65-64 but a free throw by Makowski followed by a Taylor Dunn jumper in the closing seconds gave the Knights a 67-65 edge.
- Arcadia scored 10 straight points to open the fourth quarter and led by as many as 15 to pull away from the Blazers.
- Makowski and Dunn combined for 51 points for Arcadia. Makowski hit 9 of 12 field goals on her way to 26 points. Dunn finished with 25 points on 7 of 11 shooting and grabbed 10 rebounds. Camille Menns had a double-double with 14 points and 11 boards.
- Hood's bench outscored Arcadia's 35-11.
The Blazers travel to No. 11 Messiah on December 5.