FORT PIERCE, Fla. - Hood College's bullpen pitched 13.2 innings of scoreless relief to lead the Blazers to a pair of 13-inning victories on the final day of their spring break trip to Florida. Hood outlasted the Privateers 4-3 and defeated the Lions 6-2.
Inside the Box Scores
- Jordan Patterson won both games in relief. He pitched a total of seven scoreless innings, allowing just three hits and striking out 11. He was also 3 for 5 at the plate.
- Des Grimes pitched 4.1 innings of perfect relief against Maritime and struck out four. Both he and Patterson were part of a Blazer bullpen that held the Privateers scoreless for 7.2 innings.
- Andrew Wenner tied a school record with four stolen bases against the Lions.
- Nate Luscombe fanned nine batters in seven innings against Penn St. Behrend.
- Daniel Shepherd went 4 for 9 in the two games.
- Joe Kroeger drove in the winning run in the first game, then scored it in game two.
Hood 4, Maritime (N.Y.) 3 (13 innings)
- Nathan Kessler led off the 13th with a single and Patterson followed with a base hit to put two runners on with no outs. Shepherd singled with one out to load the bases. With two-outs, Kroeger drew his second base on balls of the contest to bring home Kessler.
- Patterson pitched a 1-2-3 bottom of the inning for the win. He struck out four in two innings for the win.
- He played a key role in Hood forcing extra innings. The Blazers trailed 3-1 in the seventh when he drove in Alex Staton to make it a one-run game. Patterson scored the tying run on an RBI single by Shepherd.
- Derek Wyld's run-scoring single in the first put Hood in front 1-0 in the first inning, driving in Sawyer.
- Maritime tied the game in the fourth on a Robert Martin hit that scored Antonio Diaz. The Privateers took the lead on back-to-back RBI singles by Eric Wenig and Nick McTighe in the sixth.
- Shepherd had three hits for Hood.
- Diaz and Matt Eng had two hits each for the Privateers.
- A.J. Ammirati held Hood to one run on three hits and a walk over the first five innings. He struck out five.
Hood 6, Penn St. Behrend 2 (13 innings)
- Hood scored four times in the top of the 13th inning to pick up the win.
- Kroeger was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning and a one-out single by Kessler put two runners on. With two outs, Shepherd ripped a two-run triple to give the Blazers a 4-2 lead. He scored on a passed ball before Danny Brennan walked and scored on double by Wenner to make it a four-run advantage.
- Jahlin Jean-Baptiste pitched around two hits in the bottom of the inning for his first save.
- Hood had tied the game at 2-2 in the eighth. Wenner singled and stole second. After Trent Copenhaver walked, the two executed a double-steal. Wenner scored on a wild pitch and Kroeger squeezed Copenhaver home for the tying run.
- After the Lions scored twice in the fourth, only five of the final 32 batters reached base to end the game.
- Wenner, Kessler and Kroeger had two hits apiece for the Blazers.
- Wenner tied the school record with four stolen bases.
- Thomas Zbezinski turned in a stellar performance for Penn St. Behrend. He allowed just three hits and struck out 15 in seven innings.
- Luscombe gave up four hits and four walks in addition to striking out nine.
- The Lions' Mason McGuire and Ryan Weaver had two hits each.
The Blazers, 7-2, travel to No. 17 Salisbury on Tuesday, March 12.