Mar 27, 2019
FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College baseball team went 16 innings with the McDaniel Green Terror but the game ended in a 3-3 tie due to darkness.
Inside the Box Score
- Sam Wheeler had three hits on the day and two stolen bases.
- Dylan Beck and Trent Copenhaver had two hits apiece.
- Ryan D'Allesandro pitched six innings for the Blazers allowing four hits and striking out five. Chris Devine came on for two innings and allowed three hits, two runs, and had a strikeout. Des Grimes pitched the next five innings giving up two hits and striking out three. Jahlin Jean-Baptiste and Jake Howell combined for the final three innings of the game only allowing one hit.
How it Happened
- Hood did all of its scoring in the bottom half of the third. An RBI single by Nathan Kessler scored Wheeler. The Blazers then converted a double steal and with an errant throw over the third baseman, scored both runners to give the Blazers a 3-0 lead.
- D'Allesandro did not allow a hit until the fourth after a single by Brad Thaxton inched the Green Terror closer.
- Both teams were held in check until the top half of the ninth. An RBI single by Jarod Pezzano and a sac fly by DJ Biscoe tied the score at 3-3.
- Hood had a chance to end the game on a single to left by Copenhaver in the 12th but Wheeler was thrown out trying to score.
- McDaniel had an opportunity to take the lead in the 14th on a single to right off the bat of Biscoe but the runner was thrown out trying to score from second.
- Biscoe and Naquan Holden had two hits each. Biscoe added an RBI.
- Zach Fortuna pitched nine innings. He gave up five hits, three runs, and struck out four. Austin Fry provided five innings of relief allowing seven hits and striking out three. Robbie Mays provided the last two innings of hitless relief with a strikeout.
- With the tie, Hood moves to 12-5-1 and McDaniel goes to 8-8-1 on the year.
Hood hosts Alvernia on Friday, March 29 at 3:30 p.m.