ANNVILLE, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team outlasted Lebanon Valley 2-1 in 10 innings in the first game but the Dutchmen took game two of the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth doubleheader 5-1.
Inside the Box Scores
- Joe Kroeger had three hits in eight at-bats over the two contests.
- Trent Copenhaver, Dylan Beck and Nathan Kessler recorded two hits apiece. Beck doubled and Kessler stole a base and knocked in two runs.
- Nate Luscombe allowed just one run in eight innings in the first game, striking out seven in a no-decision.
- Des Grimes picked up the win in relief with two scoreless innings.
Hood 2, Lebanon Valley 1 (10 innings)
- A sacrifice fly by Kessler in the 10th drove in Andrew Wenner to break a 1-1 tie.
- The Dutchmen struck first when Josh Marcelli led off the bottom of the second with a home run for a 1-0 lead.
- Neither team scored again until the sixth when Hood tied the game. Kroeger singled and scored on an RBI double by Beck.
- Luscombe retired nine of the 10 batters he faced in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings to keep the Blazers alive.
- Hood broke through in the 10th when Wenner led off with a bunt single and stole second. Copenhaver bunted him to third and a sacrifice fly by Kessler brought him home for a 2-1 lead.
- In the bottom of the inning, Grimes stranded the tying run on third to preserve the win.
- Beck went 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- Luscombe scattered five hits and a walk in eight innings.
- Grimes picked up the win, striking out two and allowing two hits in two innings.
- Marcelli had two hits, including his homer, and a walk.
- Kyle Kingsbury went eight innings and allowed six hits and one run while striking out five. Bryce Eberly took the loss.
Lebanon Valley 5, Hood 1
- The Dutchmen scored three runs in the sixth to break the game open.
- Joey Wrabel gave LVC a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first with an RBI single. A second runner was waved in but Beck's throw was relayed by Daniel Shepherd to Kroeger to cut him down at home.
- Hood tied the game in the top of the second. Copenhaver reached on a two-out single and advanced to third on a failed pickoff attempt. Kessler followed with a single, allowing Copenhaver to come home.
- LVC took the lead on an RBI double by Josh Herring in the fourth.
- Bryan Towers had an RBI triple to start the scoring in the decisive sixth inning for the Dutchmen.
- Towers and Herring had two hits apiece.
- Brenden Ward pitched a complete game for the win. He allowed an unearned run and struck out four.
- The Blazers used five pitchers. Brad Sawyer pitched the first two innings. Connor Henniges followed with two innings. Both pitchers allowed one run. Ryan D'Allesandro pitched a scoreless fifth inning. Jahlin Jean-Baptiste started the sixth and allowed three runs, one earned, in 0.1 innings. Chris Devine closed it out with a scoreless 0.2 innings.
The two teams wrap up the season series on Sunday, April 7 at 1 p.m. at Mount St. Mary's.