READING, Pa. - The Hood College baseball team scored five runs in the first inning and put the game out of reach with six in the eighth to defeat Albright 14-4 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
Inside the Box Score
- Jordan Patterson went 4 for 6 with two doubles and four runs batted in.
- Joe Kroeger finished 3 for 4 and was just a home run short of the cycle. He drove in two.
- Brady Ward homered among his two hits, his fourth home run of the season.
- Trent Copenhaver, Dylan Beck, Andrew Wenner and Alex Staton all had two hits in the game.
- The Blazers had a season-high 19 hits in the game.
- Brad Sawyer walked three times and Nathan Kessler and Copenhaver both drew a pair of bases on balls.
- Nate Luscombe improved to 4-1. He allowed four runs on 10 hits over six innings, striking out four.
- Des Grimes and Connor Henniges combined for three shutout innings to close out the contest.
How it Happened
- Kessler, Copenhaver and Sawyer all walked to load the bases with one out in the first. A wild pitch brought in Kessler and back-to-back-to-back doubles off the bats of Patterson, Wenner and Kroeger made it 4-0.
- Kroeger tripled in the top of the third to drive in Patterson before the Lions answered in the bottom of the inning. Albright put together three doubles with two-base hits by Logan Pennypacker, Jimmie Gentry and Logan Adams pulling Albright within 6-3 after three innings.
- The Lions scored again in the fifth to make it a two-run game before Hood began to pull away.
- A sacrifice fly by Wenner made it 7-4 in the sixth and Ward led off the seventh with a solo home run for a four-run edge.
- In the eighth, Staton, Copenhaver, Beck and Sawyer all had RBI singles before a two-run double by Patterson made it 14-4.
- Hood improved to 21-9-1 overall and 12-4 in the MAC Commonwealth.
- Albright dropped to 10-19 and 5-11.
- Adams had four hits for Albright and Gentry added three. Two of Gentry's three hits were doubles.
- Will Tokarski took the loss. He allowed six runs in three innings.
The two teams have pushed their MAC Commonwealth doubleheader back one day to Saturday, April 20 at noon.