CHESTER, Pa. - Thanks to a split in a doubleheader split between Alvernia and Arcadia, the Hood College baseball team locked up the regular season championship in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth despite dropping a pair of games at Widener 13-6 and 10-5.
Hood wraps up the regular season with a 15-6 conference mark. Either the Golden Wolves or Knights will tie the Blazers with a win in the game between the teams on April 28, but Hood holds the tiebreakers with both schools and will be the top seed in the upcoming conference tournament.
Inside the Box Scores
- Nathan Kessler went 4 for 5 between the two contests with two doubles, two runs batted in and two runs scored.
- Dylan Beck went 3 for 6 with a double and knocked in two.
- Joe Kroeger had three RBIs.
- Starting pitchers Brad Sawyer and Jordan Patterson took the losses.
Widener 13, Hood 6
- The Blazers scored four runs in the top of the third before the Pride took control with seven runs in the bottom of the inning.
- The loss snapped Hood's 10-game win streak.
- Kessler had a two-run double and Kroeger knocked in two with a single for a 4-0 lead.
- After Tommy McParland started the Widener scoring with an RBI double, five different players had run-scoring singles to put the Pride ahead.
- Widener scored in each of the next three innings, including a four-run fifth, to pull away.
- Kessler reached in all four of his plate appearances with two hits and a pair of walks.
- Alex Staton went 2 for 3 and scored twice.
- Brady Ward doubled.
- Sawyer took the loss, allowing six runs in 2.1 innings.
- Stephen DeBellis, Greg Elfreth and Tommy Scharnikow had two hits apiece for Widener. McParland drove in three.
- Dylan Peiffer allowed five runs in 5.2 innings to pick up the win.
Widener 10, Hood 5
- Once again, the Pride responded to a multi-run inning by the Blazers with a bit inning of their own. Hood cut a four-run deficit in half in the fifth, but the Pride scored six in the bottom of the inning to put the game out of reach.
- Hood trailed 4-0 when an RBI double by Beck and a sacrifice fly by Kroeger made it 4-2 in the fifth.
- DeBellis put the lead back to four with a two-run shot in the bottom of the frame and, after three more runs had scored, a run-scoring triple by Matt Samson made it 10-2.
- Nick Rampone hit an RBI double in the sixth to start a three-run inning in the sixth that pulled Hood within 10-5.
- Kessler had two hits and a walk. Beck also had two hits.
- Patterson was coming off back-to-back shutouts and allowed his first runs in 15 innings. He took the loss and was charged with three earned runs in four innings.
- Samson, Daren Wood and Brennan Taylor had two hits apiece for Widener.
- James Dougherty improved to 5-0.
Hood will play in the 2019 MAC Commonwealth Baseball Championship at PeoplesBank Park in York, Pa. on May 2-4.