WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Hood College men's basketball team held off a second half rally by St. Mary's (Md.) before pulling away for a 94-82 win in the championship game of the Battle of DC & Maryland at Gallaudet University.
Inside the Box Score
- Mason Wang scored 18 points to go along with five rebounds, six assist and three steals on his way to MVP honors.
- Anthony Pearson scored a team-high 22 points off the bench. He joined Wang on the all-tournament team.
- Michael Riley finished with 18 points, going 3 of 8 from 3-point range.
- Ian Eversull led Hood with seven rebounds.
- The Blazers took excellent control of the ball, committing only seven turnovers in the game. Hood turned 20 St. Mary's turnovers into a 28-3 edge in points off turnovers.
How it Happened
- The Blazers took a 16-point lead, 64-48, with 13:03 to play on a layup by Wang. The Seahawks outscored Hood 26-13 over the next nine minutes and trailed just 77-74 after a 3-pointer by Matt Ayoub with 3:59 remaining. Riley scored seven points and Pearson added five during a game-ending 17-8 run. The run was fueled by a 14 for 16 effort at the free throw line down the stretch.
- Hood led by just four just after the outset of the second half when an Ayoub 3-pointer made it 46-42 with 19:37 to play. An 18-6 run by the Blazers followed to give Hood its 16-point edge six and a half minutes later.
- A 3-pointer by Pearson with 13:02 left in the first half gave the Blazers a 15-14 lead and Hood never trailed again.
- Ayoub scored a game-high 23 points on a 7 of 15 performance on 3-point field goals. The rest of the Seahawks, however, went only 2 for 15 behind the arc.
- Darick Kerns had a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds. Justin Milstead added 14 points and Phil Newsome scored 10.
- Hood went 28 for 38 (74 percent) at the free throw line, while St. Mary's (Md.) was 13 of 17.
- The Blazers improved to 4-1 on the season, while St. Mary's dipped to 1-4.
Hood heads to Delaware Valley on November 21 at 1 p.m.