Posted: Dec 01, 2018
GLENSIDE, Pa. - The Hood College men's basketball team had its five-game win streak snapped at Arcadia in a 78-74 final in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth action.
Inside the Box
- Mason Wang went 5 of 10 shooting on his way to 16 points and added six rebounds, five assists and three steals.
- Michael Riley scored 15 points.
- Evan Wang went 5 of 10 shooting and scored 10 points, while Ian Eversull had six rebounds and three steals.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed 63-54 with 8:26 to go in the game but tied the game with a 14-5 run. The Wang twins scored the final eight points of the run, including a layup by Evan Wang that tied the game at 68-68 with 3:29 left.
- Mason Wang tied the game again at 71-71 and Eversull intercepted a pass near midcourt on the next possession. The senior was fouled going in for the fastbreak layup and he made both free throws for a 73-71 edge. The Knights answered right back with a 3-pointer by Da'Kquan Davis for a 74-73 advantage with 1:15 remaining.
- Hood tied the game one more time on a free throw by Jared Ruiz with 1:02 on the clock. Kyle Reilly hit what proved to be the decisive points on a jumper at the 33-second mark. Reilly came up with a blocked shot at the other end and the Blazers were forced to foul. Davis iced the game with two foul shots with 16 seconds remaining.
- In the first half, Hood trailed 16-10 before holding Arcadia scoreless for a stretch of over six minutes. Anthony Pearson made a pair of 3-pointers in the ensuing 12-0 run that gave the Blazers a 22-16 lead with 10:38 left in the half. A 3-point play by Pearson with 7:18 to go in the period extended Hood's lead to 25-18.
- Arcadia closed the half with a 22-7 run for a 40-32 lead at halftime.
- Davis scored a game-high 18 points. Evan Slone added 17 on 8 of 10 shooting and Phil Pierfy hit 6 of 9 shots on his way to 14 points. Slone led the team with nine rebounds.
- Arcadia shot 52 percent in the contest, while Hood had an uncharacteristically off night by converting just 38 percent of its field goal attempts.
- The Blazers committed only seven turnovers in the game, enabling them to hold a 20-4 edge in points off turnovers.
- Hood dropped to 6-2 overall and 1-1 in the MAC Commonwealth, while Arcadia is 5-2 and 1-0.
Hood travels to Messiah on December 5.