FREDERICK, Md. - Despite a combined 28 points from seniors Ian Eversull and Jared Ruiz, the Hood College men's basketball team fell in the Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth Semifinals 87-70 against Widener.
Inside the Box Score
- Eversull and Ruiz had 14 points apiece. Eversull knocked down 6 of 9 field goals, including 2 of 3 from 3-point distance, and blocked two shots. Ruiz converted 6 of 10 field goals and went 2 of 5 behind the arc.
- Evan Wang led Hood with 15 points.
- Michael Riley had eight rebounds.
- While the Blazers struggled from the perimeter, converting 5 of 27 from 3-point range, Hood ran its season total to a school record 257 made 3-point field goals.
How it Happened
- Eversull scored seven points during a 10-4 run to open the game in the first five minutes. The Pride responded with an 11-0 run and went ahead 15-10 with 11:55 remaining in the half on a Jair Williams basket.
- A bucket by Tyler Evans brought the Blazers within 17-15 but Connor Laverty scored the final five points of an 11-4 run to give Widener a 28-19 edge with 6:48 left in the half.
- Hood trailed 40-29 at halftime and faced a deficit as large as 15 before cutting it to 53-44 on two free throws by Mason Wang with 12:44 left in the game. Jared Peters and Elijah Boyd answered 3-pointers and pushed Widener's lead back to 15 points. The Blazers never got closer than 12 the rest of the way.
- Laverty and Kenny Lewis scored 22 points apiece for the Pride. Lewis added 15 rebounds as Widener held a 49-29 advantage on the glass.
- Boyd finished with 17 points and Peters came off the bench for 10.
- Widener shot 50 percent in the contest overall, including 8 of 19 from 3-point range.
- The Pride travel to face Arcadia, who defeated Albright in the other semifinal, on February 23.
- Hood fell to 17-9 on the season, while Widener crept to 15-11.
The Blazers will await word on a potential bid to the ECAC Tournament, which will be announced next week. The field will be announced on February 25.