FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Mason and Evan Wang combined to score 31 of the Blazers' 36 second-half points in a 75-62 win in the championship game of the MMI Tip Off Tournament.
Inside the Box Score
- Mason Wang finished with 32 points on his way to tournament MVP honors. In the title game, he hit 8 of 16 field goals and went 13-for-14 at the free-throw line. Evan Wang went 7-of-12 shooting, matched his brother's six rebounds, and pitched in with four assists and three steals.
- Riley, who scored the only five points the Wangs did not score in the second half, finished with 12 for the Blazers. He led Hood with nine rebounds.
- Mason Wang was named the MVP with teammate Tyler Evans joining him on the all-tournament team.
How it Happened
- With 16:03 to go, a three-point play by Evan Wang put Hood on top 48-33. Tharon Suggs scored five points during a 13-3 run that cut Hood's lead to five points with 9:40 remaining. Hood responded with a 13-5 run, resulting in a 61-48 edge after a Mason Wang layup with 6:21 to play. Luke Romeo connected from 3-point range with 1:02 left to pull the Hornets within seven, 69-62, but Michael Riley and both Wang twins combined to hit all six free-throw attempts down the stretch to ice the game.
- Mason Wang scored 20 in the second half, including a perfect 12-of-12 at the charity stripe.
- The Blazers limited Lynchburg to just 38 percent shooting, including 9-of-33 from 3-point range (27 percent). While Hood shot just 39 percent from the field, the difference came at the foul line, where the Blazers went 26-of-29 (90 percent) and the Hornets hit only 5-of-9.
- Hood outrebounded Lynchburg 37-35.
- A 3-pointer by Ryan Hollwedel broke a 17-17 tie with 10 minutes left in the first half and the Blazers never relinquished the lead again. Kobe Butler sank pairs for free throws on consecutive possessions to cap a 12-0 run started by Hollwedel's 3-pointer for a 29-17 lead with 5:41 to go in the first. Hood took its biggest lead of the half when a bucket by Mason Wang made it 38-25 with 1:51 left before taking a 39-30 lead into halftime.
- Reggie Davis came off the bench to lead Lynchburg with 12 points. Tharon Suggs added 11 and Cody Lang finished with 10. Thacker had nine rebounds and Chance Greene dished out a game-high six assists. Suggs and Thacker represented the Hornets on the all-tournament team.
- Hood improved to 2-0 on the season, while Lynchburg dropped to 1-1.
- In the consolation game, Albertus Magnus defeated Southern Virginia 112-62.
- Marquan Watson (Albertus Magnus) and Ricky Stafford (SVU) rounded out the all-tournament team.
Hood travels to Wilson on November 13 for a 7 p.m. start.