FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College held off Gallaudet 73-66 on the first night of the Battle of D.C. & Maryland at BB&T Arena.
Inside the Box Score
- Michael Riley had a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds for his first double-double of the season.
- Mason Wang and Evan Wang tied for the team-high with 14 points apiece.
How it Happened
- Hood trailed by as many as seven points, 41-34, in the second half. A free throw by Riley tied the game at 45-45 with 11:58 to play. Noah Valencia followed with one of his seven 3-pointers for the Bison to give Gallaudet a 48-45 lead. Ryan Hollwedel and Keith Claiborne Jr. sank back-to-back 3-pointers and a layup by Kobe Butler gave Hood a 53-48 edge two minutes later and the Blazers never trailed again.
- Hood built an 11-point lead after Mason Wang hit two free throws with three minutes to go for a 68-57. The Bison chipped away and Valencia's final three cut the Blazers' lead to just 70-66 with 38 seconds left. Hood scored the final three points down the stretch to hold on.
- In the first half, Valencia went 7-of-16 from the floor and scored 16 of Gallaudet's 28 points. Hood struggled with its shot in the opening 20 minutes and hit just 27 percent as the teams entered the locker room tied at 28-28.
- Valencia finished 13-of-25 for the game with 34 of the Bison's 66 points.
- Hood's bench outscored Gallaudet's 25-10, led by eight points by Hollwedel, seven from Will Pataki and six by Claiborne.
- The Blazers improved to 4-0, while the Bison sank to 0-2.
The Battle of D.C. & Maryland concludes on Saturday, November 16 when Hood takes on St. Mary's in the championship game at 3 p.m. Catholic and Gallaudet open the second day with the consolation game at 1 p.m.