FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Michael Riley scored the Blazers' first 18 points and finished with 42 in a 79-76 win over St. Mary's (Md.) in the title game of the Battle of D.C. & Maryland.
Inside the Box Score
- Riley was unstoppable from beyond the arc, hitting 11-of-17 3-pointers to break Ryan Junghans' school record of nine from 2009. His 42 points were the third-highest total in school history and the most since Junghans set the record with 47 in 2008.
- Mason Wang added seven 3-pointers, accounting for all 21 of his points, as the Blazer set a team record with 21 made threes in the contest.
- Evan Wang finished with nine assists, the most for a Blazer since Trey Quinn's 11 in 2013.
- Kobe Butler and Keith Claiborne Jr. both had seven rebounds.
How it Happened
- Riley hit his first 3-pointer less than two minutes into the game to put the Blazers ahead early 3-2. He answered the next four scores by St. Mary's with threes, as well, to put Hood head 15-10 with 12:43 to go in the half. A minute and a half later, Riley hit a jumper in the lane, was fouled and finished the three-point play at the line.
- Butler was the first Blazer other than Riley to score a point, knocking down a free throw with 11:02 left in the half for a 19-12 lead. Hood's next six points came via two more 3-pointers by Riley before a dunk by Christopher Smalls made it 27-20 at 6:01.
- A last-second shot by Claiborne sent Hood into the half with 42-28 lead. Riley scored 25 in the first half, sinking 7-of-10 behind the arc. Mason Wang added a dozen in the opening 20 minutes.
- Riley and Wang combined for Hood's first 18 points in the second half before a 3-pointer from Claiborne with 8:02 left in the game. Claiborne's three ended a 13-0 run by the Seahawks that gave St. Mary's a 63-57 lead. Another 3-pointer from Claiborne reclaimed the lead for the Blazers 66-65 with 6:06 remaining. Seth Jones hit a 3-pointer for St. Mary's before Hood went on a 12-0 run, including six points from Riley.
- Ryan Hollwedel's 3-pointer at 2:12 put the Blazers ahead 77-68 but Miles Gillette and Justin Milstead scored and were fouled on consecutive trips for the Seahawks cutting the score to 77-74 with 1:06 left. Still leading by three in the closing seconds, Hood fouled Jalen Hayes to send him to the line with three seconds left. Hayes hit both and Hood inbounded to Riley. The senior was fouled and hit both free throws.
- Hood went 21-of-44 from 3-point range (48 percent) but made only four two-point field goals in the game.
- Milstead scored 21 for the Seahawks on 8-of-16 shooting. Gillette went 7-of-11 on his way to 16 points. Hayes scored 18 points.
- Jack Foley had nine rebounds and four blocks.
- Riley was named the MVP of the tournament with Wang joining him on the all-tournament team. Gillette and Milstead represented St. Mary's with Catholic's Riley Hayes and Gallaudet's Noah Valencia completing the list.
- Hood's 5-0 start is its best since beginning the 2016-17 season 6-0.
- St. Mary's dropped to 1-3.
- Catholic defeated Gallaudet in the consolation game 80-60.
The Blazers idle before hosting St. Vincent on November 23 at 3 p.m.