Mar 04, 2017
FREDERICK, Md. - The weather certainly was not hot, but the Hood College offense was, as the Blazers defeated Westminster (Pa.) 18-5.
Inside the Box Score
- Zak Kooser tied the school record with four assists in the game.
- Grayson Zubradt had a his second straight five-point outing with four goals and an assist. The sophomore had a monster game, adding five ground balls and three caused turnovers to his day.
- Eddie Somerville added two goals, an assist and four ground balls.
- Will Clampitt caused four turnovers and had four ground balls.
- Alexander Elliott and Rudy Garcia scored two goals apiece.
- Hood won 22 of 26 face offs in the game. Zach Kauffman went 13 of 15 and netted eight ground balls. Ben Gilbert was 8 of 9 with six ground balls. Billy Edge took the final two face offs of the afternoon and went 1 of 2.
- John Hoffman made three saves in the first 46 minutes. Noah Waterlander stopped one shot in the last 14 minutes.
How it Happened
- Neither team scored until nearly midway through the first period when Elliott scored with 8:37 left for a 1-0 lead. Ryan Shalvoy tied the game a minute and a half later, but the Blazers ended the the quarter with a five-goal run to take a 6-1 lead. James Bimstefer keyed the run when he took the ball coast-to-coast for a man-down goal with 5:53 left to give Hood the lead.
- Somerville scored to make it 7-1 with 13:46 left in the second, but goals by Shalvoy and Adrian Culp cut Hood's lead to four with 11:55 to go in the half. Back-to-back goals by Zubradt started a 5-1 run to end the quarter that made it 12-4 at halftime.
- Westminster scored the only goal of the third quarter, when Matt Trella scored with a man-advantage to make it 12-5.
- Hood returned the favor by blanking the Titans in the fourth quarter. Rudy Garcia scored both of his goals during the Blazers' 6-0 run to finish the game.
- Shalvoy scored three goals for Westminster. Reid Lutz had four ground balls. Carter Hall made 18 saves.
- Hood held a 54-15 edge in shots and won the ground ball battle 45-21.
The Blazers host Neumann on March 8 at 3:30 p.m.