FREDERICK, Md.- The Hood College men's lacrosse team defended its home turf, keeping Alvernia at bay late in the game to win 11-9 in Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth play. The Blazers scored four straight goals in the fourth quarter to build a lead sufficient to hold off the Crusaders.
Inside the Box Score
- Zak Kooser dished out two assists to run his career total to 37 and become the Blazers' all-time leader. Alex Engler had dished out 35 assists for Hood from 2010-13.
- Grayson Zubradt and Patrick O'Brien each scored a hat trick to lead the Blazers. Tristan Moreno added two goals. For Zubradt, he ended the day with 74 career scores, tying teammate Alex Villegas for Hood's all-time lead.
- Zach Kauffman, Patrick Hurley, and Sean Murphy each scored once.
- The Blazers defense was led by Will Clampitt, James Bimstefer, and Hurley who each had two caused turnovers.
- John Hoffman made 21 saves in net for Hood.
- Kauffman won 15 of 19 face offs.
How it Happened
- In an intense fourth quarter, the Blazers held off the Crusaders. Alvernia (3-7, 0-3) tied the score at 7-7 with 11:48 to play in the game. Hood (7-5, 1-3) responded with four straight goals in a six-minute span to take an 11-7 lead with 4:33 remaining.
- The Crusaders took advantage of a man up situation to score on the Blazers at 3:06 in the fourth quarter. Alvernia cut the lead to two with another score immediately after the power play was released at 2:15 in the fourth.
- With just over two minutes remaining in the game, the Blazers' held strong and controlled the ball for an 11-9 win after a well fought contest.
- Hood had jumped to an early lead in the contest, scoring five straight goals in the first quarter, before Alvernia netted a last second score in the first.
- The Crusaders chipped into the Blazers' lead, tying the game 5-5 at 11:07 in the third quarter.
- Hood went back up on Alvernia with a score at 5:06 in the third, and a quick response on a faceoff win, run, and score by Kaufman at 14:52 in the fourth.
- Jarret Abernethy and Sam St. Croix led the scoring for Alvernia, scoring a hat trick apiece.
- Andrew Ritchie grabbed five ground balls. Patrick Dunn snatched four ground balls.
- Kyle Augustine made six saves for the Crusaders.
- Hood's seven wins are one shy of the school record.
Hood heads to Albright on Thursday, April 13.