Posted: Sep 08, 2018
FREDERICK, Md. - Hood College's Clay Smith scored two goals in the second half to lead the Blazers to a 3-1 victory over Cairn.
Inside the Box Score
- Smith's two goals raised the junior's season tally to four, matching his output from the previous year. He became the fifth player in school history with 20 career goals and passed Juliano Pillari for fifth place in career points.
- Ryan Waugh scored Hood's first goal and added an assist.
- Danny Castillo made two saves.
How it Happened
- Waugh put the Blazers ahead in the 13th minute when the Cairn keeper failed to control a free kick by Robert Ellerson and Waugh struck it home for a 1-0 edge.
- The goal stood until the 69th minute when the Highlanders leveled the score. Joey Weaver slipped the ball to Brandon Hasko at the far post for the tally.
- Smith scored the game-winner in the 78th minute when Waugh sent a long pass forward and Smith outran the defense to the ball.
- He added insurance 90 seconds later. Ricky Salgado beat his man and played the ball to Smith.
- The Blazers outshot Cairn 17-9.
- Grant Grogan made two saves.
Hood travels to Goucher on Sunday, September 9.