FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College men's soccer team posted its fifth-straight clean sheet in a 3-0 victory over visiting Southern Virginia.
Inside the Box Score
- Clay Smith extended his school record by scoring in his eighth straight match to open the season.
- Cameron Tyler and Ryan Waugh also scored goals, while Jake Hynson and Graham Bussink notched assists.
- Nick Pilny got the start in goal and played the first 79 minutes, making four saves. Isaac Coeto Jr. played the final 11 minutes.
- The clean sheet was the fifth in a row for Hood, a school record. Hood has not allowed a goal since September 8, a span of 471 minutes and 43 seconds. The win also tied the Blazers' record for consecutive victories with six, tying the mark set in 2005. The 2005 team also held the old record with four shutouts in a row.
How it Happened
- Hood took command early when Smith scored late in the third minute for a 1-0 advantage.
- That lead stood until the end of the 68th minute when Tyler scored off an assist by Bussink for a two-goal cushion.
- Ryan Waugh was awarded a penalty kick in the 85th minute and converted it to cap the scoring.
- James Hampton made one save in the first half for the Knights. Kostner Olson made three during the second half.
- Hood held a 23-5 edge in shots, including 14-1 in the second half.
The Blazers travel to Messiah on Saturday, September 29 for their Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opener.