BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Hood College's Fred Roberts set the school record in the heptathlon on his way to All-Middle Atlantic Conference honors at the MAC Indoor Track and Field Championships at Lehigh University.
How it Happened
- Roberts scored 4,030 points to finish third in the multi-event. He turned in a strong second day of the heptathlon, scoring the second most points in the pole vault and 1,000-meter run. He scored 590 points in the pole vault by clearing a season-best 3.90 meters (12-9 1/2) and ran the 1,000 in 3:04.01 for 625 points. The performance helped him surpass the old school record set by Austin Hager-Perry in 2015.
- AJ Lewis ran a time of 23.71 in the 200-meter dash and was ninth.
- Hood finished ninth with 11 points, ahead of Alvernia, Manhattanville, Delaware Valley and Albright.
- Stevenson won the conference title with 158 points.
- "With our performances this weekend at the conference championships, we really took a big step forward moving up and competing with some of the best athletes and teams in the MAC," said head coach Chris Benassi. "We were able to walk away with two school records from AJ in the long jump and Freddy in the heptathlon and nearly every athlete performed higher than their ranking coming in. Our assistant coaches did an amazing job of putting our athletes in a position to perform at a high level and it really showed at the conference championship. We couldn't be more excited about the direction this team is headed going into the outdoor season."
Outdoor track and field season begins on March 16 at Mary Washington.