FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team earned a split in its home-opening doubleheader against Dickinson. The Blazers dropped the first game 4-2 before rebounding for an 11-2 win in five innings in game two.
Sophia Leaman went 3 for 5 total over the two games with three runs batted in. She tripled in game one, then pitched a complete game and homered in the nightcap. In addition to Leaman, Kristy Erfurdt and Jasmine Webster homered in the game two win.
- Hood used a two-run fifth to tie the game, but Dickinson scored once in each the sixth and seventh to pick up the win.
- Erfurdt singled with two outs to start the Blazers' rally. After a pitching change, Leaman greeted the reliever with a triple down the line in left to make it 2-1. Kayli Paugh knocked in Leaman to tie the game with an infield single.
- Nicole Clayton led off the top of the sixth with a double and scored the winning run on a single by Kat Parise.
- The Red Devils added an insurance run in the seventh on a single by Kristen Acocella drove in Alicia Lane.
- Erfurdt doubled in the bottom of the seventh but was stranded at second.
- She went 2 for 3 with a walk, while Leaman was 2 for 4.
- Killian Kueny picked up the win. She scattered five hits, a walk and a run over 4.2 innings.Madison Milaszewski picked up the save with 2.1 innings of relief, allowing one run.
- Paugh pitched a complete game but took the loss. She allowed 10 hits and four runs while striking out three.
- Brigitte Gutpelet went 3 for 4 and Parise and Jessica Epstein had two hits apiece.
- Erfurdt, Leaman and Webster all homered as the Blazers ended game two early with an 11-2 win in five innings.
- Erfurdt put Hood ahead 2-0 in the first with a two-run homer before the Red Devils cut the lead in half in the top of the second.
- Hood responded with a six-run second to break the game open. Caitlin Gosline drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly and Leaman's two-run shot made it 5-1. A two-run double from Kaitlin Barron stretched the lead to six before Barron scored on an RBI double from Katelyn Long.
- Dickinson scored once in the sixth before the Blazers put the contest out of reach with three runs in the fourth. Webster's two-run homer made it 10-2 and an infield single from Gosline capped the scoring.
- Leaman allowed two runs on seven hits over five innings for the win.
- Barron went 2 for 2 with a walk, two runs and two RBIs. Webster was 2 for 3 with a homer, two runs and two RBIs. Gosline, Erfurdt and Leaman knocked in two runs apiece.
- Kat Vill took the loss. She surrendered five runs in 1.2 innings. Milaszewski came on in relief and allowed five earned runs in 2.1 innings.
- Lane and Acocella had two hits each for the Red Devils.
Hood is idle until heading to Arizona for spring break from March 12-16.