FREDERICK, Md. - The Hood College softball team dropped a pair of close games in the team's Middle Atlantic Conference Commonwealth opener to Messiah. The Falcons held on to win 4-3 in the opener and 3-2 in the nightcap.
Messiah 4, Hood 3
- Kiley Banks singled to lead off the seventh but was stranded at second by Madelyn Yannetti as Messiah held on for the win.
- Banks had three hits in the game, as did Scott. Leaman went 2 for 2 and walked twice.
- The Falcons scored once in the first and stretched it to 2-0 on a solo homer by Carrie Fix in the third.
- Hood tied the game in the bottom of the third. Scott doubled, Erfurdt singled and Leaman walked to load the bases with no outs. Paugh drove in a run with a fielder's choice before a double by Jasmine Webster tied the game.
- The Blazers took a 3-2 lead the next inning when Leaman singled to drive in Caitlin Gosline.
- Erin Cressman had a game-tying double and scored the winning run in the sixth inning for Messiah.
- Paugh retired 12 out of 15 batters at one point before the Falcons broke through in the sixth. She allowed only five hits and two walks in the complete game, but took the loss.
- Fix had three hits for Messiah. She was the starting pitcher for the Falcons and allowed all three runs in 3.1 innings. Yannetti pitched around seven hits and a walk over the final 3.2 for the win.
Messiah 3, Hood 2
- Hood loaded the bases in the seventh before Joy Kolakowski closed the door on the complete game win.
- Scott, Erfurdt and Paugh all had two hits for the Blazers.
- Erfurdt hit a two-run home run in the fourth to pull Hood within one, but the Blazers could get no closer.
- Messiah scored twice in the second. Samantha Esper singled in a run, then drew the attention of the Hood defense, allowing Nicole Kreimer to come home.
- The Falcons added the game-winning run in the third on an RBI groundout by Amanda Petersen.
- McKenzie Tebbs had two hits and stole two bases for Messiah. Esper also had two hits.
- Leaman scattered eight hits and six walks while striking out four but took the loss.
- Kolakowski went the distance for the Falcons
Hood travels to Shenandoah on April 3.