Apr 04, 2018
As part of NCAA Division III Week, Hood College is asking student-athletes to tell us about their experiences as a D3 student-athlete.
Katelyn Long, Softball, Junior
- Major: History with a concentration in Public History and a Minor in Journalism
- Why Hood? I loved the area of Frederick and the small number of students gave me the chance to work one-on-one with my Professors.
- Why do you enjoy being a D3 student-athlete? It isn't a lifestyle but it also isn't a weakness. D3 softball allowed me to continue to play competitively while also being able to have a centered focus on my studies.
- What is your favorite memory as a Hood student-athlete? It is a rather recent one but when my team went down to Tuscon, Arizona for spring break, I was brought in to pinch hit, not realizing the walk-off run was on second. One line-drive through the hole on the right side and next thing I know, everyone was walking off the field. I hadn't realized I just hit the walk-off run in!
- Tell us a fun fact most people don't know about you. My nickname is Country (though many people on campus call me by that name) because my Dad, who used to be my coach, said I could hit the ball a country mile (I also loved to listen to country music and would sing it on the bench all the time)!
- What is one piece of advice you would give to a future Blazer? Don't be afraid to be yourself! If people don't like you for who you are, then they don't deserve your time.
- Favorite food: Soup
- Favorite movie/book: Tangled
- Dogs or cats: DOGS
- Go-to song before a big game/event: "She's Country" by Jason Aldean
- Favorite TV show (all-time): Family Guy
- Favorite music genre: ALL OF THEM
- Favorite sports team: Baltimore Orioles